PDA

View Full Version : raise or fold situation?

stoxtrader
03-10-2004, 09:47 AM
10/20 5handed

I get AJo in SB, UTG folds, MP raises, button folds. MP has loose rasing standards.

I call, BB calls. raise here?

Flop: KJ5rainbow

I bet, BB folds, MP raises, I call. (I still think I'm good here more than 50% of the time, MP had loose rasing standards and was overly aggressive)

turn: 6

I check/call

river A, giving me 2 pair,

I bet, raise. I call.

what did MP have?

mistakes on every street?

Vazh
03-10-2004, 10:57 AM
I'll take a stab. Assuming he's not a maniac let's say he'd raise from MP with AA-77, AK-AT, KQ-KT, QJ-QT, JT (all can be suited or not) and some smaller suited connectors. The flop raise trims his holding to maybe AA-JJ, AK, KQ, QT. I don't think the turn bet limits it any further since many players will bet draws rather than take the free card. The river raise throws out QQ and probably KQ leaving AA, KK, JJ, AK and QT. AK and QT are the most likely. I'll pick QT.

I've been trying to do a better job of reading hands, but it's hard to do at low limits.

I'd be tempted to check raise the river, but I think you played it fine.

soda
03-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Well, I'd have three bet preflop.

And also, three bet the river and call a cap.

AK, QT, and a set are all possible, but against an overly aggressive player, this hand is worth a reraise on the river.

soda

Nate tha' Great
03-10-2004, 12:20 PM
A 10/20 preflop raiser is going to raise a bet from a limping SB approximately 100% of the time here on a KJx board; in certain ways I'd be more nervous if he called. It's usually the 3-bet that 'convinces' him you have a hand.

The way I've been playing this sometimes lately is to just call his flop raise and then bet out again on the turn, and that seems like a pretty good line here. If he raises again on the turn, then it's probably correct to fold.

My instinct tells me that he has AQ, AJ or possibly AT and you should 3-bet the river.

Nate tha' Great
03-10-2004, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take a stab. The flop raise trims his holding to maybe AA-JJ, AK, KQ, QT.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no, no, no, no. From a 1/2 or probably a 5/10 player, yes, the raise would usually mean something, but a typical 10/20 LAG would often call here with his strong hands, waiting to pop it on the turn, and raise with his more vulnerable ones.

soda
03-10-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No, no, no, no, no, no. From a 1/2 or probably a 5/10 player, yes, the raise would usually mean something, but a typical 10/20 LAG would often call here with his strong hands, waiting to pop it on the turn, and raise with his more vulnerable ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this generalization is a very inaccurate and dangerous one.

soda

Nate tha' Great
03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this generalization is a very inaccurate and dangerous one.

soda

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it's dangerous but I don't think that it's inaccurate.

Vazh
03-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Interesting. I'll need to watch this more closely at my limits to see if anyone is playing this way. There is so little pre flop raising at the lower limits that a lot of the strategy discussed here isn't applicable.

Nate tha' Great
03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I'll need to watch this more closely at my limits to see if anyone is playing this way. There is so little pre flop raising at the lower limits that a lot of the strategy discussed here isn't applicable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would *not* heed that advice at 1/2, it will cost you money.

gushansen
03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
bb is already a tight player, w/ aj u prefer headsup and u said he is a LAP then isolate him

gushansen
03-10-2004, 09:41 PM
LAPs like to protect vulnerable hands

stoxtrader
03-11-2004, 11:43 AM
I really think I should have 3 bet pre-flop. The rest of the hand gets easier that way, and I likely also play it heads up.

I was shown QTo for the rivered straight. nice read kcorth.