PDA

View Full Version : JJ in the first orbit of a $10+1

chesspain
03-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Paradise $10+1...blinds are only 5/10...player to my immediate right has already stolen a couple of pots preflop via large raises. I still have all 1000 of my starting chips; no one else is below T950.

I'm in LMP and am dealt J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

EP1 calls, EP2 calls, folded to MP2 who calls, I raise to T50, folded to the button who calls, blinds fold, all three limpers call for T40 more each...five to the flop for T265.

4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to MP2 who bets T110, I raise to T220 (push all-in here?), button calls T220, folded back to MP2 who calls...three to the turn for T925.

[4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] T /images/graemlins/club.gif

MP2 bets 50, I raise T550 (I meant to raise all-in and must've misset the raising slide bar), button reraises all-in for T725, MP2 reraises to T785, I call for my last T180.

Did I play this correctly? Should I have pushed all-in with my overpair on the flop?

unfrgvn
03-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Tough to figure what they are playing here. I figure MP2 for 4 to the spade flush, but if thats the case hard to see his call of the button for all his chips. At this point I figure someones flopped a set. Possible somebody played 35 and flopped a str8, but thats not a great limping hand much less call a raise.
I would have raised a lot more pre flop. With j's I don't want more than one caller. I probably would have raised to about T125. Then I'm not too worried about small cards on the flop and if an Ace comes I know I may need to let it go. As for how it played out here, a push after the flop would have been the best play since you ended up all in anyway.
JMHO.
How'd it turn out?

novamob
03-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Gotta raise more preflop, if you want to drive out the limpers. With all of those callers seeing the flop, you are in bad shape. It was still the first orbit, and patience pays in those games. Let them kill each other off. They usually do.

chesspain
03-10-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I figure MP2 for 4 to the spade flush, but if thats the case hard to see his call of the button for all his chips. At this point I figure someones flopped a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent call!

MP2 showed K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the flush
button showed T /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the turned set

I'm curious that both respondants so far stated I should have bet more PF, although I did bet 5x the BB. Chances are both opponents would have called with these two hands preflop even I had bet T100.

Stagemusic
03-10-2004, 03:21 PM
In a 10 + 1 I would never bet more than 5x the BB preflop with anything less than AA. This is just my opinion based on the number of maniacs that populate these SNG's. I was actually going to comment that 5x might even be a little too stiff. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif At the very least your TT opponent is going to call you all the way. The KQ MIGHT fold but I doubt it.

unfrgvn
03-10-2004, 04:52 PM
So did the river complete the flush? I play at party, also in the 10+1's. My experience is that on the first round of blinds a 3x big blind raise won't drive out very many limpers. A 5x big blind raise at party would be 75 ($15) big blind. Thats a little better than your 50, but I think it's better to make it 3 digits. At party I still get enough callers to pay off my big pairs but not so many that I become an underdog. After the BB gets to $30 then the 3 to 5x BB raises seem to get respect. I do agree with Stage music that you wouldn't have got rid of the 10's, the KQs, maybe.

CrisBrown
03-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Hiya chess,

I'd have just called pre-flop. With the two limpers already in ahead of you, better to play JJ for set value, rather than trying to take the pot right there (which ain't gonna happen very often in this situation). If you flop a set, cool. If not, take a stab at the flop -- if your JJ is an overpair -- and be ready to go away if anyone hangs around.

Cris

chesspain
03-10-2004, 05:05 PM

chesspain
03-10-2004, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A 5x big blind raise at party would be 75 ($15) big blind. Thats a little better than your 50, but I think it's better to make it 3 digits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the amount of the BB was only T10