PDA

View Full Version : Heads up vs. very tricky opponent.

The Dude
03-10-2004, 06:39 AM
I recently played this hand against a very good player player. In fact, he might be the best player I've played against in Commerce's $100 buy-in games. He mixes up his play very well, and is superb at recognizing good all-in opportunities. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him push opponents off pots with his all-ins in previous games. He has only played a couple of hands since he sat down but did double up, so he has about $215 in front of him in the BB. I easily have him covered. Blinds are $2-3

I raise UTG to $10 with 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, MP calls, folded to BB who calls. Flop comes K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. BB checks, I bet out $30, MP folds, BB calls. Turn is the 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. BB checks, and I check, hoping to show weakness - since he is going to think I don't have a great hand, because why would I give a free card to the flush draw? This would give him the perfect opportunity to check-raise all-in on the river when he misses his draw.

River comes the 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. He checks, and I check behind. He turns over J /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif, for the worst possible hand for me to have played against this way. He flopped a flush draw and double-bellybuster straight draw.

So here's my question. I know I gave up EV on the turn, since I knew I had the best hand, but didn't charge the draws. But did I pick up enough EV by possibly inducing a bluff to make this move profitable?

I know this is hard for you guys to judge without the read on my opponent, but what do you think of this kind of play? I only give up a few dollars of EV by not betting the turn (the exact amount of EV would be b(1-p), where b is the size of my bet and p is the probability he will hit his draw), and I gain a chance to get his whole stack if the river doesn't hit him.

SpaceAce
03-10-2004, 01:43 PM
I think not betting the turn is pretty ridiculous. I don't much like slow playing sets on two-flush boards, anyway, but I can understand that. When he checks again on the turn, though, you must bet. I don't think potential bluff is going to make up for giving away two free streets.

SpaceAce