PDA

View Full Version : Fancy play syndrome or a reasonable play?

kerpowski
03-10-2004, 02:39 AM
A little background on the CO. He has often raised/reraised big post-flop when someone showed any sign of weakness (check or less than pot sized bet). He tends to be a little loose preflop and other than the aggression when other people seem weak he doesn't seem very tricky.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (10 handed)

SB ($139)
BB ($508.50)
UTG ($146.50)
UTG+1 ($139)
UTG+2 ($598)
MP1 ($696)
MP2 ($814)
MP3 ($274)
CO ($543.50)
kerpowski ($795)

Preflop: kerpowski is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $4, CO raises to $18, kerpowski raises to $64, SB folds, BB folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $46.

Flop: ($138) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

This is a good flop for me, but instead of coming out firing I decide to trap him by making a smaller than pot sized bet. I'm not afraid of any cards except an A so I don't mind giving him a cheap card (I'll release the hand if an A hits and he bets/checkraises). If he has JJ or AA... well bully for him, I'm willing to give him a good portion (possibly all) of my stack.

CO checks, kerpowski bets $80, CO calls $80.

I really thought he would either fold, come over the top of me or at least raise here. I don't know what to interpret the call as... it could be anything from AA or JJ to Prof. Plum and the lead pipe. My best guesses for hands I beat are AK (the hand I'm trying to represent), AJ-TJ or a small pair. As I mentioned, he is pretty straightforward and would probably have bet into me or check raised the flop with a hand that clobbered me. QQ also would have bet to see where he is at and I can't think of other hands that would flat call as there are no draws on the board.

Turn: ($298) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Another relatively harmless card (besides putting out a straight and flush draw), so I figure I'd give him another chance to bluff at it.

CO checks, kerpowski bets $100, CO goes all-in for $399.50, kerpowski calls $299.50.

River: ($1097) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $1097

Results: CO had J/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

This play worked out for me in this case but in retrospect I'm not sure if the risk/reward was worth it. At 130xBB the money may be deep enough to make my idea a Very Bad Thing. The advice that KK and AA win small pots and lose big ones comes to mind.