PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't I deserve the chips here??

UMTerp
03-10-2004, 01:14 AM
$50 2-table Pokerstars SNG. 12 left. Blinds $25-$50.

Should I have made a bigger turn bet?? I feel I should've won this pot, but as it is, I forced my opponent to make a mistake on every single street of the hand, yet it felt fairly routine. Anyone have a problem with my play here??

PokerStars Game #327143878: Tournament #1161214, Hold'em No Limit - Level III
(25/50) - 2004/03/10 - 00:01:25 (ET)
Table '1161214 2' Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: UMTerp (3730 in chips)
Seat 2: santino (655 in chips)
Seat 3: robertsbigbo (2500 in chips)
Seat 5: shengy (2070 in chips)
Seat 6: locdawg (2475 in chips)
Seat 8: fujimo (740 in chips)
Seat 9: OldGranny (1330 in chips)
locdawg: posts small blind 25
fujimo: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to UMTerp [Kd As]
OldGranny: folds
UMTerp: raises 100 to 150
santino: folds
robertsbigbo: folds
shengy: folds
locdawg: calls 125
fujimo: folds
*** FLOP *** [Kh Qh 4s]
locdawg: checks
UMTerp: bets 250
locdawg: calls 250
*** TURN *** [Kh Qh 4s] [6c]
UMTerp: bets 600
locdawg: calls 600
*** RIVER *** [Kh Qh 4s 6c] [Ah]
UMTerp: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
locdawg: shows [Th Js] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
UMTerp: shows [Kd As] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
locdawg collected 2050 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2050 | Rake 0
Board [Kh Qh 4s 6c Ah]
Seat 1: UMTerp showed [Kd As] and lost with two pair, Aces and Kings
Seat 6: locdawg (small blind) showed [Th Js] and won (2050) with a straight, Ten
to Ace

Man, poker is frustrating sometimes...

jwvdcw
03-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Don't worry about the money aspect of things. You made the right play on every card, which is all that matters. In fact, I'm somewhat shocked that you made the right play by checking the river...how on earth did you do that/

Anyway, good playing..thats all that matters. You can only control your play, not the cards, so only worry about if you played bad, not if the cards came up bad.

HUSKER'66
03-10-2004, 03:52 AM
I probably would have bet more on the flop. Your preflop standard 3XBB lets him know that you have AA KK or more likely AKo. He figured he would see the flop for another $125......the flop hits him with an open ender and a backdoor flush draw. (though it's not a good one) I agree with you on the fact that he shouldn't have stayed for the turn and the river, but you put no pressure on him with your pot size bets on the flop and turn. You had a good but vulnerable flop, you should put more pressure on the draws and make it "stack busting time"....top pair top kicker is not the time to be slowplaying. Put the pressure on your opponent and keep him thinking and paying all the way. You did not have a hand where you could afford to let your opponent "catch up".

Question: what did you put your opponent on preflop? on the flop? on the turn?

I think that you would have had better results with a raise of at least $600 on the flop. See how he feels to put up 25% of his stack on a 5/1 draw. I may be wrong on this and I claim to be no expert, but I feel that you have very few times that you want to slowplay.

Sklansky writes in his TPFAP:

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have a "monster" hand, slowplaying, while often making you more when it works, entails an extra risk of losing the pot. This risk is often worth taking in a regular game, but not in a tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry......didn't mean to spew out "Sklansky" at ya....make a bigger bet next time! /images/graemlins/smile.gif