PDA

View Full Version : Turn Decision

Huskiez
03-09-2004, 08:50 PM
I've had some problems with 2/4 thus far, especially when it comes to playing overpairs. The only way I get paid off is when someone has me beat it seems. I found this hand to be a good example of an overpair hand, and the results surprised me from what I was expecting. Please comment on your play on the turn. I am pretty sure I played it correctly on preflop and flop.

Typical 2/4 Party game. 8 handed.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB bets, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB bets, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Your move?

dirty_dan
03-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Raise. Would SB have led the flop with the flush draw or a 4? Probably not. He could have Q4s or J4s, but more likely he's got a queen and is betting his turned two pair. Even if he has a weakly played QJ you're ahead.

If he 3bets then call him down.

bisonbison
03-09-2004, 09:01 PM
I would lead with the flush draw a lot of the time, hoping to trap the players between me and the preflop raiser for 2 bets.

I would call the turn.

Jeffage
03-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Raise. He could easily have a Queen with a club. Make him pay. You also just sucked out on QJ if it's out. If he has a 4, so be it. You can probably fold to a 3-bet.

Jeff

BigBaitsim (milo)
03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Raise. At Party 2/4 SB's betting into your raises, then calling probably means QJ, QK or AQ. Sure he may have made his flush, in which case he will three-bet and you can call or fold. Had a player make this exact play last night (albeit at $1/2) with AKs and a similar board against my AA. Nice payoff.

chesspain
03-09-2004, 10:37 PM
I thought calling was the best play...so I'm not the only weak tight one here /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

My thought is that if I'm now up against a flush, I have four outs to hit a boat. Why raise and fold to a three-bet, when I can see a showdown for the same price, especially since neither opponent is going to be folding to my raise. And if the fourth club falls, I can decide then if I even want to call, depending on the action in front of me.

Jeffage
03-09-2004, 10:45 PM
You leave money on the table calling the turn. Period. Your hand is likely best and must charge a draw to catch. You make a worse hand play. You don't turn into a calling station because a scare card drops. You play good poker if you're reraised on the turn.

Jeff

Huskiez
03-09-2004, 11:59 PM
After looking at the responses, I think I definitely messed this hand up. I took upon myself the weakest-tight strategy and folded on the turn. This is because in the few days I have been playing 2/4 I have been absolutely owned in this type of hand. I figured one of these players has either a 4 or a flush, and even if I happen to be ahead (which I felt was slim, considering how few times I had been ahead in previous hands), then they have outs on me on the river.

The result of the hand was the river came 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The SB checked, UTG+1 bet, SB called. SB had Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif (so bet out with the flush draw on turn as predicted by many of you) while UTG+1 had 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif (for the busted gutshot). The aces would have held up.