PDA

View Full Version : Tilt?

CrisBrown
03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
So I'm playing my 5th SNG of the day, wherein -- in 350 hands dealt -- I've had exactly three pocket pairs (77, folded to a raise and reraise ahead of me; 99, all-in short-stacked and lost to JJ; and, TT, folded on Ace-high flop). I'm down to 900 chips on 50/100 blinds, and I get QQ in the BB. Oh goodie.

Everyone folds.

Next hand, I catch 92o and push in. BB has ...

... QQ.

At least it was over.

Cris

William
03-09-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next hand, I catch 92o and push in. BB has ...

... QQ.

At least it was over.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL, you're very much in a hurry....

I hope it wasn't a 200$ SNG.... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

CrisBrown
03-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi William,

Nah, it was a $33.

Next $33, AQ vs. a small-stack's all-in and a caller ... flop is A-Q-J ... I push, called by JJ ... all-in had KT, and my top two pair is the worst hand in the pot.

Cris

Utah
03-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Hi Chris,

I havent been on the boards for a little while, but I remember reading some post by you where you were upset that you were getting smoked in allin situations.

Maybe these are isolated posts, but I worry that your mindset is not in a good place to play the game. The problem with not having the correct attitude is that defeat becomes self fulfilling, like it did here.

good luck

CrisBrown
03-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Utah,

You're right. My mindset is in a terrible place. Next SNG (after AQ top two pair was the worst hand in the pot), another $33, I get AK on the very first hand, in the BB. Raise from MP, SB calls, and I call. Flop is A-2-2. I check, MP bets, SB calls, I call. Turn is K. I check. MP bets, SB calls, and I raise the pot. MP folds. SB pushes. I call. SB has 42o. Out on first hand.

This is beyond absurd. I am reaching the point of thinking I should go down to $5.50 SNGs, just so when I lose -- which at this point is inevitable -- it'll only be a small loss....

Cris -- who no longer believes it is even mathematically possible for her to win

P.S. Signed up for one more. I'm not going to play any hand except AA or KK. At least that way, I'll get bad beats instead of stupid beats.

Ulysses
03-09-2004, 08:48 PM
You need to take a break. Your messages sound like a losing poker player, period. You may have the ability to beat the game, but I really doubt you're playing winning poker right now.

Look, my last 10-20 session, I cap it pre-flop HU v. maniac w/ QQ. Flop comes 38Jr. We cap it. Turn is a 4. We cap it. River is a T. I bet, he raises, I put him on JT and call. He shows me T3o. Whatever. Nice $400 pot for him. It sucks. It happens. Sometimes a lot of times in a row. Next hand. Next SNG. Dealing with that without letting it affect your game (or at least trying to minimize the effects) is a huge part of being a winning poker player.

Brian462
03-09-2004, 08:54 PM
I think you should play the limit sit-n-gos until you get your confidence back. I've noticed I can play limit fine even if I'm upset. In no-limit however, when I am on semi-tilt, I inevitably make a stupid mistake which costs me my whole stack. At least in limit my stupid mistakes only cost me a few bets.

In any event, a change of pace couldn't hurt.

jwvdcw
03-09-2004, 09:07 PM
You're not playing good poker, and that was a terrible move. You need to get over the whole,'man why am I so unlucky that nobody calls my pocket Qs?' mentality. You are losing due to bad plays like going all in with 9-2os; not due to bad luck.

Take some time off and try to improve your game.

CrisBrown
03-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Hi Ulysses,

My messages sound like a losing poker player for a reason ... at this point, I am a losing poker player. Last $55 SNG of the night. I call a min-raise with AQo in the CO. Flop is Q-T-4. He bets, I push, he calls and turns up 88. 8 falls on the turn and I'm out 17th.

I definitely need some time away, because at this point it is mathematically impossible for me to win a pot, let alone a tournament.

Cris

ThaSaltCracka
03-09-2004, 09:09 PM
yeah didn't you say you were going to take a break? you probably should, go for a walk or something, or maybe even drink /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrisBrown
03-09-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not playing good poker, and that was a terrible move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmmm ... might that be why I titled the post "Tilt?" Nah. I'm too stupid to realize it was a bad play. I thought pushing in on 92o was a great play and I just got unlucky when he outdrew me with QQ....

Sheesh.

Cris

chesspain
03-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Cris,

I don't think it's very cool of you to snap at a newbie who may not be experienced enough on these boards to realize that when you post one of these rants you are not looking for anything more than some comforting words--although I personally don't see how that is going to help you play better poker.

Nonentheless, I think that the best way to avoid receiving seemingly patronizing responses, like the one posted by jwvdcw, is to stop posting your various bad beat tales of woe.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Cris

Today I came back from T500 with blinds of 100-200 to win 1st in a SNG $33. I doubled with 55, A6o, and QJs. All reasonable desperation hands.

92o = tilt. But then you already knew that.

al

SossMan
03-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Is there any chance we can go a whole week w/ out hearing about anyone's bad beats. 80% don't care, 19.9% are glad, and the other .1% have some sick fasination w/ bad beats and post at:

www.riveredagain.com (http://www.riveredagain.com)

-SossMan

Stoneii
03-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Sossman

Are your figures accurate? I heard that 85.76% of all statistics are made up /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Anyway, if what you say were true, no-one would reply to Cris's post. I think folk here do care thus the advice to take a break etc etc.

Tilt is quite familiar to me too Cris, ask Doc about my private emails after a few jars and getting busted out of a multi table tournie late on with best hand after labouring for hours (was in the money but was looking for final table /images/graemlins/frown.gif) . I went on to lose my original profit and more (as I upped the stakes and lost surprise surprise) until Doc finally asked if I would consider coming off tilt - with a few choice and wise words /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I didn't play next day, took family out the day after, had a great day (you know the warm fuzzy type), came back in the evening and signed up for a 2-table $22 SnG in which I scraped home and won /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

stoneii

unfrgvn
03-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi Cris,

Just to let you know that it is possible to get your money in with the best of it and actually win, I will post this hand. I'll call it bad beat gone good.
Heads up, I have T6150, my opponet has T1850. I see Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the big blind. My opponet pushes all in. As the guy on the WPT says, I have show tunes going off in my head. I call. He has 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Flop:
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I can't say enough bad words as the cards come really fast at Party.
Turn:
A /images/graemlins/spade.gif
River:
Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
to give me queens over aces and the tourny.

Good luck and stop pushing with 92o!