PDA

View Full Version : EP, MP, LP, CO, UTG, whatever

Saborion
03-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Someone just asked about a few of these abbreviations in the SS forum, and I tried to find a link for that person to read by doing a search on the topic. Seems to me as though many people have many opinions about this, so I'm going to make one last attempt to understand this.

1: UTG = EP1? Some agree, some say EP1 is the first person to act after UTG and/or UTG+1 etc.

2: UTG in a 6-handed game is MP1? I always considered UTG = EP1, regardless of the total amount of players. So in a 6-handed game it would be as follows: SB, BB, UTG(EP1), UTG+1(EP2), MP1, MP2, CO(LP1), button(LP2).

So, someone please enligthen me since I'd like to use the most common used terms to be better understood.

NutCrackerr
03-09-2004, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So in a 6-handed game it would be as follows: SB, BB, UTG(EP1), UTG+1(EP2), MP1, MP2, CO(LP1), button(LP2).

[/ QUOTE ]
You've listed 8 seats.

UTG = First seat after the BB no mater how many players.

Steven Punk
03-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Good question. I've also played at 11 and 12 player tables and I wonder what the adjustment to that would be.

LetsRock
03-09-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm not an official abbreviation interpreter but here's my take:

UTG and EP1 are the same. UTG is first to act , typically after the blinds. If you were to use UTG and EP1 in the same sequence, it would be understood that EP1 is UTG +1.
Technically, EP1 is actually small blind, but since SB is already used to identify this position, EP usually begins following the blinds. For my purposes, I divide the table into 3 sections:

SB, BB, UTG and EP2 = Early position
MP1, MP2, MP3 = Middle posisition
CO-1 (or LP1), CO , Button = Late position

Most of the time you won't need to worry about being that specific for purposes of hand analysis. Unless you have 8 or 9 to the flop, generalalities (EP, MP or LP) often give us enough information to understand the order of action and perhaps position based motiver.

Your 6 handed example has 8 posisitions /images/graemlins/confused.gif

You could probably get away with:SB, BB, UTG, MP, CO and Button. It's all a matter of relative position, so as long as you're consitent, we'll get the idea.

LetsRock
03-09-2004, 04:52 PM
I'd put the 11th and 12th players as MP4 and MP5. Everything that's not Late (button) or Early (blinds and UTG) is pretty much equal in my book.

bisonbison
03-09-2004, 09:39 PM
I had to set this up for my converter, and I've actually gotten a couple of PMs about it, saying I should change it this way or that. Here's my list:

10 handed (UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2) (MP1, MP2, MP3) (CO, Button) (SB, BB)
9 handed (UTG, UTG+1) (MP1, MP2, MP3) (CO, Button) (SB, BB)
8 handed (UTG) (MP1, MP2, MP3) (CO, Button) (SB, BB)
7 handed (UTG) (MP1, MP2) (CO, Button) (SB, BB)
6 handed (UTG) (MP) (CO, Button) (SB, BB)
5 handed (UTG) (MP) (Button) (SB, BB)
4 handed (UTG) (Button) (SB, BB)
3 handed (Button) (SB, BB)

It's not perfect, but it's what I use.

Saborion
03-10-2004, 12:52 AM
My bad on the 6-handed table. Naturally I meant SB, BB, UTG/EP, MP, CO, button.

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-10-2004, 02:55 PM
I always considered UTG = EP1, regardless of the total amount of players.

No. That's a fundamental misunderstanding of position. Position defines the range of hands you play in relation to the number of people who must act after you. Thus where you are in relation to the blinds is less relevant than where you are in relation to the button.

Kurn, son of Mogh
03-10-2004, 02:58 PM
No. At a 12 handed table, the additional players would be addition EP players. In fact, in the two positions to the left of the BB, you'd have to tighten up more than you normally would in EP.

Steven Punk
03-10-2004, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No. At a 12 handed table, the additional players would be addition EP players. In fact, in the two positions to the left of the BB, you'd have to tighten up more than you normally would in EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you have to tighten in every position. Even if you are 1st in late aren't odds greater, because of more players, that you will run into a strong hand behind you. Is this correct overall or just EP?

Saborion
03-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Hmm... I guess you mean that in a 3-handed game UTG is no longer an EP player, he's THE LP player?

But let's assume a 10-handed game. Then UTG can be called EP1 as well? Since UTG is THE EP player if any.

Homer
03-11-2004, 01:49 PM
These terms suck. If everyone changed over to my system, the world would be a much better place.