PDA

View Full Version : Counting "views"

PrayingMantis
03-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Does anybody know how they calculate the "views" numbers for the threads here? For example, everytime I come back to read a new post in a thread, does that count as another "view"? I know I can test it or something, but I'm interested in a general answer.

lorinda
03-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Every time you view a thread it adds to the views count.

Ramashiva used to view his own threads repeatedly to boost the numbers.

As a thread progresses, the views/posts becomes a very poor indication of how many unique viewers a thread has had for two reasons.

1. People lose interest as a thread winds down.
2. In instances where people are having a discussion/war they are the only two viewing for a certain period whilst making maybe five posts each.

Lori

PrayingMantis
03-09-2004, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. In instances where people are having a discussion/war they are the only two viewing for a certain period whilst making maybe five posts each.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've noticed that, and it's quite funny. But I think that in general, flame-wars attract many viewrs, because of the action, and that probably boosts the view numbers too, regardless of the "poker" content.

lorinda
03-09-2004, 03:58 PM
But I think that in general, flame-wars attract many viewrs, because of the action, and that probably boosts the view numbers too, regardless of the "poker" content.

I agree with this entirely.

Anyone who reads 2+2, particuarly the zoo, daily and says they have never watched a soap opera is lying /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
This is the greatest soap opera of all, and you get to join in.

Lori

wm r the rake
03-09-2004, 04:13 PM
cause you know this man!!!!

Stew
03-09-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've noticed that, and it's quite funny. But I think that in general, flame-wars attract many viewrs, because of the action, and that probably boosts the view numbers too, regardless of the "poker" content.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flame wars? I don't recall ever having engaged in such a thing.