PDA

View Full Version : Not a single hand won what to do?

Crispyk
03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm stumped on what to do when luck is completely against you, is there anything that can counter this in low limit SNG's, I played 2 $10 SNG's on Ultimatebet, folded almost every single hand until blinds were 100-200 at which point i had about 650 or so left, I raised with KQ, hit nothing on the flop folded to a aggressive bet. At that point the blind wiped me out from there, not a single hand won, only a few hands played, when this happens should i loosen up and see more flops, or should i just hope for a better tournament next time?

La Brujita
03-09-2004, 03:12 PM
When you can't hit win a hand you are going to lose pure and simple. This is especially true at low buy in games where you have to show down most hands. That being said, when you were down to 650 chips you need to go all in or fold. Minimum raising with KQ was a mistake. If you felt it was the right time, you should have pushed in.

Regards

jwvdcw
03-09-2004, 04:12 PM
This is why you can be glad you're playing tourneys...think of how much money you saved by playing in a tourney rather than a ring game.

Also, I agree with the previous poster that when you are shortstacked and the blinds are high, you really have to try to steal the antes with your legit hands preflop.

ThaSaltCracka
03-09-2004, 04:31 PM
you can't sit idly in tourneys, you have to take advantage of possible steal oppurtunities. Use your table image to your advantage as well. You can't simply wait for group 1 hands in a tourney and expect to win. You will blind out if you do this. This doesn't mean play marginal hands like you would strong hands, you have to be a LITTLE looser in tourneys.

jwvdcw
06-05-2004, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can't sit idly in tourneys, you have to take advantage of possible steal oppurtunities. Use your table image to your advantage as well. You can't simply wait for group 1 hands in a tourney and expect to win. You will blind out if you do this. This doesn't mean play marginal hands like you would strong hands, you have to be a LITTLE looser in tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree somewhat...I definitely think you can afford to play ultra tight early on as the maniacs(partiulcarly at that level) eliminate themselves. However, once the blinds are up to 50/100 or 100/200, you have to look at steal opportunities.

djcolts
06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Based on my very limited experience (28 10+1 PP SNGs) - playing tight early is OK - but I've learned that when I play really tight early, and you make a raise, the other players respect it more, especially if you win one hand early, so that is where you can be a little more aggressive.

Jason Strasser
06-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Not a single hand? What does that mean? You get dealt 2 cards every time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sometimes you are going to have tourneys that are just crappy. You have to suck it out a bit. All you can do is play the hands you are dealt correctly. However, there are a few risky tricks you can do to pick up chips. I sometimes like pushing from the blinds when there are a lot of limpers.

But with regards to your KQ hand, LaBrujita is right. You can't raise and fold here--must push.

BradleyT
06-08-2004, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on my very limited experience (28 10+1 PP SNGs) - playing tight early is OK - but I've learned that when I play really tight early, and you make a raise, the other players respect it more

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. People don't notice that the reason you're at 705 chips is because you've only payed to see a flop in your BB and haven't voluntarily entered a pot yet in 2.5 orbits.

In these situations I'll raise more than the standard 3x BB and STILL get 3-5 callers. The reason why is simple - they play their hand not your hand.

djcolts
06-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Well, I did say that my experience is limited. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm really trying to figure out how not to get shortstacked so often using the PP SNG 10+1 Strategy. I'm still working on that.

AA suited
06-08-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I did say that my experience is limited. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm really trying to figure out how not to get shortstacked so often using the PP SNG 10+1 Strategy. I'm still working on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

you will get short stacked if you dont get the cards. it's that simple. play tight. if you call with medium pocket pair or an ak, and nothing helps on the flop, then fold if someone bets. remember, you're suppose to play tight in the early rounds. dont be a calling station.

at the later rounds, you have to push if you are short stacked and pray the coin toss lands in your favor.

djcolts
06-08-2004, 03:01 PM
That is basically what I've been doing (not the calling station part - the tight and stay out of trouble in levels 1-3/4). I guess if I'm ahead so far then I might be doing OK. At least this will hopefully help my short-stack skills because of all the practice I get.

Crispyk
06-08-2004, 04:50 PM
Wow... weird to see this thread again.... well i've learned a few tricks after i wrote this 3 months ago.... First of all ... i realize that not going all in with KQ was just plain foolish... and even so... i may have limped in and then tried all in on another hand... becuase K high never holds up for me.... Some of the things i've started doing is throwing all in preflop alot more on my strong cards like AK and pocket pairs.... I used to see a flop and shoot aggressively at it even if i missed... but it made more sense to just go all in preflop with it.... mainly when alot of people limp in behind you.... usually you will get 1 caller.. but once in awhile no one will call an you may win a very decent pot without ever having to hit on the flop..... of course this strategy will backfire when someone is holding some good downcards like... slowplaying AA or whatever... but i find that it works much more often then it doesn't.. and it has really helped me gain chips when the cards aren't falling for me.... and even if you get called... you've still got a decent chance of doubling up if you hold decent cards.... Back when i wrote this i played much too tight.. and much too much on a "system" i've strayed away from that and now i play more by my gut instead of my system.

AA suited
06-08-2004, 05:09 PM
um..you mean going all in with KQ is foolish, right? because your next sentance is contridictary.