PDA

View Full Version : On the river with a small flush

PrayingMantis
03-09-2004, 12:33 PM
It's a 1-table 33$ SNG. 8 left, I'm short stack with 1115. Blinds 25/50. MP (2100) limps, SB (1155) completes, and I'm on the BB with T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

All check.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

All check.

River: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets 100. He's a pretty solid player, from what I've seen. What's my move and why?

La Brujita
03-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Kind of a tough spot. Interesting hand you posted. If I am the SB, I bet out most times in this position. It has been checked twice and the small blind can't let the money sit out there and rot as Ciaffone might say. I don't think his bet indicates a made flush. Also, a K high flush draw probably should have bet the turn, so you are only looking at a few hands that beat you.

He could also be betting the straight for value here, as nobody has indicated a flush draw.

250 in the pot on the short stack I would be raising. I wouldn't push all in but would make slightly less than a pot sized raise. Only problem is you might only get a caller/reraiser if you are beat. If you had a bigger stack a call might not be a bad play (although I still think it is a bit weak tight because no strength has been shown at any time in the playing of the hand).

Just out of curiosity, did you consider betting the turn?

Regards

eastbay
03-09-2004, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a 1-table 33$ SNG. 8 left, I'm short stack with 1115. Blinds 25/50. MP (2100) limps, SB (1155) completes, and I'm on the BB with T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif K /images/graemlins/spade.gif

All check.

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

All check.

River: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets 100. He's a pretty solid player, from what I've seen. What's my move and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I value bet here. Whether that's a pot-sized bet, a half-pot sized bet, or an all-in, depends on what I've seen at the table. I'd do whatever is most likely to be called.

eastbay

TylerD
03-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Raise to 300 and hope he has something sufficient to call you with. If he re-raises, I'm pushing in.

I'd be confident I was leading and would try to get as much value as possible. Trebling the bet is small enough to call if he has anything (perhaps pair of kings) but not enough to scare anyone else off. It also has the benefit of appearing to be a bluff, so you may get some more action.

PrayingMantis
03-09-2004, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity, did you consider betting the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some more information on my opponents. MP was pretty much a calling station, a passive player that could have limped with Ax, not bet the flop, and only call bets later on, as he's afraid of his own kicker. Could call any bets with Kx too.

That's why I didn't think betting the turn could help me much here, because MP wasn't easy to fold. Same reason why I think SB woudn't bet the river without some good piece of it (and he was short-stacked too), as he probably knew there's no point in stealing against MP, or bluffing both of us (MP and me) from his position.

Stoneii
03-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I have to believe you have the best hand here and raise him the pot (TC250).

I wouldn't always throw in a bet on the turn as it's so often raised (by a thief or A3 etc etc) which blows you out of the pot before you get a chance to draw the flush.

But I am convinced you're ahead here.

PrayingMantis
03-09-2004, 02:17 PM
I raised to 300.

Mp folded. SB re-raised 400 more, to 700.

Ugh. What's your move NOW?

La Brujita
03-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Yuck. The correct move is probably to fold. I think you are beat. My move probably would have been flat call (ugly) or possibly all in (uglier still). There is the old saying about flushes sticking to one's hands. That saying is very very true for me.

TylerD
03-09-2004, 02:39 PM

PrayingMantis
03-09-2004, 03:26 PM
I had a strong feeling I'm beat here. This was not the kind of a player, as I read him, to SP a set or something, and then to become tricky-aggressive on the river, after the flush card hit.

But I pushed, hoping I'm ahead. He called with the K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, and I went home.

Thanks for the replies.

ThaSaltCracka
03-09-2004, 04:27 PM
why not simply call?

PrayingMantis
03-09-2004, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why not simply call?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean call his re-raise? It's a tough question, but I think it is a fold/all-in situation. If I think I'm ahead, or that there's a good chance for it - all-in is better. If I think he beats me, and sure enough of it - folding is better. With my stack (and his), I dont see a reason to make the % calculation of pot-odds for calling "a bluff". It's true that if I call and lose, I still have ~T300 or so, and I'm still alive. But I'm not sure that's the right way to look at it.

Any other opinions?

ThaSaltCracka
03-09-2004, 05:42 PM
no I mean the original bet of 100.
you are either way ahead here or way behind, I would rather call here than bet, IMO.