PDA

View Full Version : Late Posted Blind

Steven Punk
03-09-2004, 12:30 PM
When you post the late blind 1 from the button do you raise with more hands if you are 1st in? Would you raise with J-10 suited or K-10? Where do you draw the line?

slavic
03-09-2004, 01:33 PM
I jack just about any two.

Steven Punk
03-09-2004, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I jack just about any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious? Please explain why.

slavic
03-09-2004, 01:48 PM
ok your first to open in late position. Well if you have a playable hand it's best to raise because the likelyhood of taking the blinds is higher than normal. After all poker is just a contest over the blinds. In the case of a late position post it may very well be that your hand is not worth playing, however you don't have that choice. So the next best choice is to raise versus checking. If you raise it gives you two ways of winning versus one way that may not be all that great.

MarkD
03-09-2004, 02:07 PM
This really must be qualified by who is in the blinds in my opinion.

It's foolish to put in two bets with much the worst of it against opponents that will ravishly defend their blinds and call down with very little.

Total trash hands should still be checked and if one of the blinds raise I'd fold them. At the low limits, with the competition as bad as they are, there will be MUCH better opportunities to make money than by raising 72o or some such hand just because you posted a late position blind and everyone happened to fold to you this one time.

Now if the blinds are tight and tend to fold a lot and don't really pay attention to obvious steal raises then it's probably correct to raise any two, but this will be a very rare occurence.

IMO, trying to steal the blinds at low limits is highly overated and since this is the beginners forum I assume low limits. The rake is high relative to the size of the pots and the chance of you out right stealing the blinds is quite diminished. These two factors alone make blind stealing an overated proposition.

Now having said all that you definitely should raise more hands than normal when you are in this situation, but not any two. Just thought that needed clarification.