PDA

View Full Version : Someone please tell me I made the correct laydown with this PLO hand

aces_full
03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Paradise Poker $5 PLO tournamement. Since I can't find good micro PLO games to play, I figure the tournaments are a good way to learn PLO with minimium risk and good reward. Actually this was my first tournament and I was doing pretty good for myself. I knocked a couple of players out and took some nice pots to get in 10th chip position.

The hand in question I had KKxx. No suits, no coordinated cards, just a pair of kings. In hold'em the kings would be good, but I didn't have much here without a flush or straight possibility, still I planned on limping with it since I had plenty of chips and seeing what developed. I never got the chance. There was a big raise from EP and I chucked the hand. As luck would have it a K came on the flop, and another came on the turn. The pot was taken by a full house, but I couldn't help thinking what a monster pot I would have won had I stayed in.

I didn't last too much longer in the tournament. I turned a broadway straight a few hands later. I had a lot of chips committed to the pot when the board paired T's on the river and I got raised the pot. My opponent had tens full of jacks and most of my chips were gone. I stayed around for a while longer until I got blined out.

Big Dave D
03-08-2004, 10:03 PM
There is lots of micro limit plo...its completely different from tourneys and one does not equal the other. Also the difference between the micro and bigger limits in plo cash is also massive. Its a funny game /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think you're looking at the game like a holdem player. In your examples, depending on the situation, calling or reraising or simply folding your KK may have been fine. ALso you said you were raised on the river when the board paired..why were you still betting?

Bob Ciaffone's Omaha book is small but perfectly formed and still the best intro to the game. Avoid the CLoutier book like death.

Buzz
03-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Aces Full - With a pair in your hand, I think you have a 9.02% chance of making a full house or quads if you stick it out to the river. But 0.74% of those full houses involve trips on the board such that an opponent could have quads. Thus a better value to use is 8.30%. Something like that.

However, roughly twice as often, when you have a pair in your hand, you end up with a set or trips (which could pose a problem).

So when you play with a hand like

K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, quite often you will end up with a full house or quads. However, even more often, depending partly on your opponnents play and also depending on how you play, I suppose, you're going to end up with an expensive loser.

If you just see the flop and then fold when there is no king on the flop, I think you're losing 7/8 bets you make on the first betting round. Here's the math: (1*46+2*46*45/2)/17296 = 0.1223

Then for the 1/8 flops that do have one king and no pair, most of the time the board won't pair on the turn or river.

Bottom line: In a very loose, very passive game where everybody sees the flop and nobody ever raises, I think you probably have odds to call a half bet from the small blind. Otherwise, hands like K/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif seem generally unplayable unless you are going for a steal or getting a free ride in the unraised big blind.

But you have my sympathy. It does give me a pang when I would have made quads if I had only played some garbage hand.

Buzz