PDA

View Full Version : Just another day in Tunica

Abe
03-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Start off with a one table satellite at the Horseshoe. Winner gets an entry to a larger tourney. One very aggressive player is running over the table and knocking people out rapidly. He is raising with most anything. He has a huge chip lead and I am in 2 or 3rd with 5 left. He open raises and I have QQ on button. I triple his raise and he puts me all in. He tables KJs which is a little better hand than I expected. HEY ! Wait a minute! This is the matchup that McAvoy won the 83 WSOP. I was just reading about this. I'm a big favorite here. I tell everyone this to impress them with my poker knowledge, while the dealer runs out the cards - ending with a K. -- (sigh) -- walk away vowing to read no more McAvoy books.

Time to get in some cash games. Shoe spreads a low limit red chip Triple Draw Lowball game and its great fun. Only problem happens when a new dealer comes in. After the first betting round is complete, she burns a card and puts out the flop. A moment of shocked silence, then all break out laughing.

Get called for 10-20 holdem and its a surprisingly terrible game. 5 crusty locals and 4 other tight-azz tourists. I am the only action in this game----thats a real bad game.

I get up to walk around and socialize. Recognize my favorite local player at the Omaha/8 table. She's a beautiful dark-haired Irish lass - extremely talented poker player and a great sense of humor. Instead of saying hi, she says; "Seat open for YOU !" and points at the open chair. (This lady is probably the best Omaha/8 player in town. She has beat me at Omaha/8 on prior trips and knows I have no game) I look at the other players and jokingly ask her if I would be the worst player in the game. She says; "YES, you would be the worst player in this game - sit right there" She did not have to look around at the other players before saying this. I go back to my boring holdem game.

Late night now - time to check out the Gold Strike room next door. About 10 tables going and I ask to be on list for all their holdem games. Brush says; "3-6 or No Limit?" I ask if there is something in between, and the answer is no.

Sitting in the 3-6 game, and the gal next to me has had way too much to drink. She had been to the Eddie Money concert in the theater earlier that evening. I told her that I was not much of a fan of Eddie Money's music. She said that she is a big fan, and had gotten his autograph. She says; "Look at this. He autographed my boob!"

Things I learned in Tunica today:

--Don't show off poker knowledge and lose a poker tourney.

--Don't try to bluff the flop in Triple Draw.

--Everyone in Mississippi knows I'm an Omaha fish.

--"You want 3-6 or No Limit?" Whats the right choice?

--Eddie Money has bad handwriting.

I love this town.

DonWaade
03-09-2004, 01:58 AM
I loved your post. I have never played in Tunica but you make it sound fun. Just one question. . . . Was the umm. . . err. . . paper that Eddie Money signed nice? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

scalf
03-09-2004, 08:50 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif top recount, but really, say the games are ez..they really aren't right now in tunica...r they?

gl /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Abe
03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Don,

Tunica is great on many levels. The poker is plentiful and varies wildly in limits and quality. You can play serious for about any amount you want, goof in low limit games or just eat sleep and relax. PM me before you go for some specific "tour guide - ish" info.

As regards your question -- well, I'm no autograph expert. And any "quality assessment" is difficult when you're drinking many beers, playing 3-6, at 2am, in the Gold Strike.

Abe
03-10-2004, 05:02 PM
scalf,

I get to Tunica for poker 4 or 5 times a year, and have NOT really noticed the games getting much tougher over the last couple years.

There has been the big influx of new players (like everywhere else) in the last year. Most of these play 3-6 or 4-8 -- but every now and then theres a complete newbie playing higher.

With the large crowds of poker players coming there for the WPO last month, I played much of the time after midnight till dawn. This should be called the "stupid" shift. Some unbelievable bad plays and players.

During non-tournament times, I just think the games are variable in quality and you have to be "game selective" or just get up and go sleep.

Horseshoe:
--4-8 can range from ok, to good, to extremely good at anytime.
--10-20 often plays tight. Many times more locals than visitors. Its the "move up" game and many people are trying to play good.
--20-40 is still a zoo. They were really loud last month--and Sandy S wasn't even there. Main game has TWO "must straddle bricks" in it and the must move game usually only has one.

Gold Strike:
--Good games at night---many locals during the day.

Grand:
--Played there in Jan. Was in one good game and one terrible game.
--Did not go there last month. Heard their 10-20 was good.

Sams and Hollywood:
--Have not been to either since last summer.