PDA

View Full Version : Terrible bad beat story

jwvdcw
03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Sorry for posting this in 2 different forums, but it belongs in this one here, as it was a single table tourney.

I had 2c-9c, he had 2s-8h. I was in SB and its early in the tourney(2nd hand of tourney) when blinds are 10/15, so I decide to play the rags for only 5 more chips. We both had 1000 chips going in.

He only had a 22% chance of winning at this point!

Flop comes 10c, Kd, Jd. We both check. Now he only has a 10% chance of winning!

Turn is Kc. I consider semi-bluffing my flush/inside straight draw, but I've seen this guy slowplay monster hands before, so I don't want to risk it this early in the tourney. We both check. At this point he has about a 4.5% chance of winning! Thats right, only 4.5%!

Then the river comes!

You guessed it: 8s!

No flush for me. No low card to let my high card hold up. No 2 or 9 to give me a pair. Nope, the dreaded 8!! I check. He checks. He takes it down and is off to an early chip lead, which I could've definitely used!
Oh, stuff like this makes me wonder why I play poker sometimes!

jaydoggie
03-08-2004, 02:21 PM
assuming youre not joking. this is not a bad beat at all. i dont want to discourage you. your poker career sounds young. keep reading and improving, playing and thinking, and then over time and experience you'll see the true bad beats of the game. 92 getting beat (even if it is by a dominated hand) is not a bad beat. wait til you move allin on AA, flop your set and someone turns quads.

thrillhouse
03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
I think its a joke...
What I do not know is if its funny...
I'm leaning towards no.

jwvdcw
03-08-2004, 04:36 PM
He only had 2 outs going into the river...thats a pretty bad beat imo.

Sheriff Fatman
03-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Yes, I can't understand why he didn't fold under all that pressure. Those bets of yours were really hurting him.

Then again, I'm not sure how I would have coped with such a devastating loss as 15 chips out of the small blind at the start of a tournament. Tilt City must have been a hard place to avoid after that!

If you're so convinced its a terrible bad beat try submitting it to www.riveredagain.com. (http://www.riveredagain.com.) If you take some time to compare it with the stories already on there you might want to think again.

Sheriff

jedi
03-08-2004, 05:07 PM
He had many more outs to split the pot. It's really not that much of a bad beat.

jwvdcw
03-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Yeah, but only 2 outs to win that darn thing.

RockLobster
03-09-2004, 01:48 PM
I haven't posted in a while, figured this is a good time to chime in...

I have a hard time calling 92s vs 82o a bad beat. OK, we can probably come up with a scenario that might qualify, but it'd be tough. We're talking about 2 crappy hands facing off... guess what... a crappy hand is going to find a way to win. Note that no one bet the entire hand, so it's not like either player hung around despite an incredible show of strength. The fact that our hero lost to a 2-outer on the river is just bad luck, not a bad beat.

I'm very liberable in posting pretty much any hand that is submitted to www.RiveredAgain.com. (http://www.RiveredAgain.com.) I encourage people to send in their bad beats (real or perceived). My job is to give people a place to vent, please feel free to visit and send in your stories. I promise I won't laugh. Out loud. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take care--

Sheriff Fatman
03-09-2004, 03:33 PM
My suggestion was 'tongue in cheek' - I was hoping he'd look around and see some real bad beats on there.

Great site by the way! Its a good place to go when things get frustrating!!!

Crispyk
03-09-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know this is the funniest thing i've read all day!

jwvdcw
05-26-2004, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know this is the funniest thing i've read all day!

[/ QUOTE ]

ty...glad you enjoyed it

Bigwig
05-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, two outs on the river is a long shot, sure. But, I don't know if I'd consider that a bad beat. I'm pretty sure I had three just as bad LAST NIGHT ALONE. Here's what I assume: If you get a lot of bad beats, that means you've usually got the better hand. It's not a bad thing in the long run.

adanthar
05-27-2004, 03:11 AM
The real bad beat in this story is when the sarcasm bandit had to clobber a couple of people over the head.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
No 2 or 9 to give me a pair.

The 2 wouldn't help you. Split pot in that case (you each play KK22J)

05-28-2004, 10:07 AM
I have to agree. This is preety Funny!
A bad beat is flopping Quad K's and losing to a a Gut Shot Royal Draw. No thats a bad beat!