PDA

View Full Version : classic-V-classic....which is best...???

mrwhippy
03-08-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm after a "definitive" book on hold 'em to take me beyond gifted star towards poker genius.I've looked particularly at Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" and "Texas Hold'em for Advanced Players".....Is the second merely an extension/development on the first or is it a second equally/singularly necessary text in its own right.Does buying THFAP eradicate the need for buying TOP???Does anyone else have any "top-tips" for essential texts???
P.S I know this would be more approriately placed in books/software alone but I know its chances of getting read/replied to are better here.
Many thanks for any help. /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

JTrout
03-08-2004, 12:36 PM
If you're looking to make that next step up the ladder towards "poker genius", there is only 1 choice-

You must buy them BOTH!

And furthermore, you must read them both, and re-read them both. You must make notes, fold corners, question segments, post those questions on 2+2, and listen to the peoples' responses.

And you then, grasshopper, will have moved up a rung.

Enjoy the journey.
JTrout.

Sheriff Fatman
03-08-2004, 12:53 PM
Having either of these books does not replace the need to own the other. These are both books which are essential reading in their own right.

Whilst it could be argued that there are many cases where one book might be a substitute for another (Hold Em Poker vs WLLHE being the most frequently cited) the argument does not apply with TOP and HPFAP.

Simply put, if you have not read either of these books then you have a gap in your knowledge. Reading only one will still leave a gap.

Think of these two books as your 'Poker Bible' as far as Hold Em is concerned - one is the Old Testament, one is the New Testament. Until you've read both, you haven't read The Bible.

Sheriff

Al Schoonmaker
03-08-2004, 01:11 PM
I was going to say essentially the same thing, but you said it better than I could.
Saving money by buying only one of them is false economics. You need both.
Regards,
Al

Sheriff Fatman
03-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Al

I doubt if your comment is true, but it was nice to hear it from a 2+2 author - thanks.

I was just lucky enough to get here ahead of you /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sheriff

JTrout
03-08-2004, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just lucky enough to get here ahead of you

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

I got here before you. I feel like the fat kid that didn't get picked at dodge ball! /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mrwhippy
03-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Its hard not to love this site when you post what is to you an important question and within a couple of hours you get responses of the calibre I have just had.Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mrwhippy
03-08-2004, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was just lucky enough to get here ahead of you

Sheriff

[/ QUOTE ]

I got here before you. I feel like the fat kid that didn't get picked at dodge ball! /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

please dont fight...lol /images/graemlins/smile.gif