PDA

View Full Version : call the river?

WDC
03-08-2004, 10:44 AM
CP 6-12. Another game just broke and we get three new players. No reads on villian here.

Hero has JJ in MP. Folded to me, I raise, folded to button who 3 bets. folded back to me and I four bet. Button calls.

flop is 2-3-4 rainbow. I bet button calls.
Turn is 5. I check, button checks.
River K. I check, button bets, I call.

Is this the right river play?

Haupt_234
03-08-2004, 11:40 AM
First off, I am only raising with JJ in MP in an open-raise.

On your river play, if the villan has an A or K he has you beat, but I would have called the river like you did since the pot is HU and was capped PF.

I think most people would bet the turn if they had an A, as well as bet the river when checked to on all streets. You have to make the river call and hope you induced a bluff.

Your call was good here IMO.

Haupt_234

Bob T.
03-08-2004, 11:59 AM
I think that you should have bet the turn, you might have got QQ, or KK to lay down if that is what your opponent held.

On the river, you lose to any ace, any king, and QQ, but you can beat pocket pairs lower than your jacks. It feels a little like your opponent might have TT or 99, so I think your call is OK.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

WDC
03-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks Bob,
I felt that buttons play was either AK or a pocket pair 8-10. I really did not put him on either qq or kk. Looking back I think I should have considered QQ.

By the way, I was at your table for about an hour yesterday, the guy who wished you well on the cruise, and it still stands, have fun and bring back some money and some good stories.

Bob T.
03-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi WDC,

I have been wondering, who WDC was, and I was also wondering how efficient the CP gossip network was if that guy in the 9 seat knew I was going on the cruise. Hi!

That table was not a good one for me, I didn't win another hand after the very first one where I flopped top pair in the BB, and rivered a full house, against a player who I think was on a flush draw.

The last hand I played, I limped UTG with AA, and lost to 73 suited who made two pair, and then I decided that I was far enough out of sync with the table that I should go home and play some internet 5-10 where I was fortunate enough to pay for my adventure at the park.

Thanks for the good wishes,
Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.