PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine odds to call a bet on the river?

chson
03-08-2004, 12:31 AM
I know how to determine pot odds on the flop and turn when there's a bet. However, how do I determine the odds to call on the river if I missed my draw and am left with a so-so hand? It appears players here are counting all the big bets (eg 15-BB:1) and as long as it's more than amount of players (eg 3-Players:1) they call?

DcifrThs
03-08-2004, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know how to determine pot odds on the flop and turn when there's a bet. However, how do I determine the odds to call on the river if I missed my draw and am left with a so-so hand? It appears players here are counting all the big bets (eg 15-BB:1) and as long as it's more than amount of players (eg 3-Players:1) they call?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you may be misreading or misunderstanding posts if this is what you think you need to do to call the river. the river is a unique situation and requires different thinking than the other streets but mostly this call will be highly dependent upon the players' playing styles and their actions up to this point, your position, what you think they have and are likely to have been betting up to this point and how much strength you've shown with your draw.

generally if there was a bet and a raise on the flop and you cold called looking for a flush draw after raising a few limpers with ajs or something like that (jts qjs)preflop then your pair outs are usually not going to be worth a call unless the board is something like Qs9s3d5cAd
where you have the AsJs. here your hand is not only worth a call in most instances but can be worth a value raise since the bettor and raiser act like they were protecting their hands from a draw (like yours).

BUT every situation is different. post a few examples and the posters here and myself will be glad to let you know what we think of the call on the end.

also, note that these are just SOME things to consider as there are many many more that come into play in during the play of a hand and each hand is different.

hope this helps.
-Barron

DcifrThs
03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
LOL.

i just realized i didn't answer the SIMPLE part of your question. heads up on the river assuming no bluff raise will work and you just have to worry about calling to win the pot, you need to do the following:

-determine the size of the pot.
-determine the ratio of the size of the pot to the bet you need to call to end the action.
-asses whether you think your hand will win more times than the pot is offereing you.

example: there are 7 bb's in the pot and a bet to me, i rivered the 2nd pair on a non flushed non straight board. so since there are 8 total bb's in the pot, if i think my hand will win more than one in 9 times i call (my call is getting 8:1 7 bb's in the pot plus the bet. so i need to have a winning hand more than 1/9 times or more than 11.111% of the time to call). against certain players that 2nd pair will win far more than the requisite percentage. against others its a clear fold. thus my first post.

-Barron