PDA

View Full Version : Party and highcarding for the button

cavalier
03-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Ever feel like you are ALWAYS starting in-the-blind (ITB) and rarely starting on-the-button (OTB)?

I was. Tonight, I figured I could dig through my PokerTracker data and find out just how often I start ITB.

I was suprised to find what I did.

Obviously, there are 10 seats and 2 of them have to start ITB. One would expect to start ITB 20% of the time.

Also, one would expect that every seat should have an equal shot at starting a tourney OTB.

Although my sample is small ( 182 tournies ), my data confirmed what I felt ( that I was getting more than my fair share of "bad starting seats" ). I'm starting ITB a whopping 42.86% of the time. More than double my expected rate!

I decided to look into this because it felt like ALL THE TIME. The funny thing, is that I finish In-The-Money almost exactly 43% of the time and that doesn't feel like enough /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, while I was digging through the data, I also noticed that in my small sample, there are definitely seats that start OTB more than others.

Arguably, the best seat is one that starts ITB 16.4% of the time and OTB 10.5% of the time. Or, maybe the one that starts ITB 19.2% but wins the button 13.7% of the time. I'm going to avoid the one that starts ITB 19.2% of the time but only wins the button 7.14% of the time.

Enough fun for tonight...

GL all!

NotMitch
03-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Since party raises the blinds every 10 hands I would want to start in the BB. That means as people get knocked out you will get to the blinds sooner which means they are lower.