PDA

View Full Version : Standard play.....or just lucky?

Griffin
03-07-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure I'm playing this hand correctly, and so winning with it worries me because I might be reinforcing bad behavior. All comments are appreciated.

This is Pacific 2/4, and the table is very loose and passive. A minimum of 6 players see the flop. Almost no preflop raising.

Of my opponents in this hand I have no read on UTG, but the Button has shown some trash hands.

I'm EP2 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG limps, EP1 folds, I limp, CO limps, Button limps, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop(6sb): J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif (6 players)

SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, CO folds, Button cold-calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn(6bb): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)

UTG checks, I bet, Button folds, UTG calls.

River(8bb): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)

UTG checks, I bet, UTG calls.

Some thoughts....

Preflop: Only because of the looseness of the table did I play J9s from EP

Flop: I decided to play, so I raised. The fact that the board offered no real draws and that one of the cards was a heart factored into my decision to play.

Turn: I was going to bet no matter what card came, but when it was a heart it helped me push the button. Had the Button raised, or UTG check-raised, I would have called with the 4-flush and probably folded without it.

River: Played itself. Had I not made the flush I think I would have checked it through as I was pretty sure UTG had me out-kicked.

Thanks,
Griff

Griffin
03-08-2004, 08:17 PM
There were no replies, but I'm still curious about this hand so I'll try rephrasing the question.

What I'm really wanting to know is "Do you think the preflop limp and the flop raise are negative EV in the long run?"

Thanks for helping me improve,
Griff

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
03-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I like the way you played this hand. The preflop call is OK if the game is loose-passive enough.

If you raise and get 3-bet on the flop, I would call and then check/fold the turn unimproved.

Ken Morris
03-09-2004, 12:27 AM
What I'm really wanting to know is "Do you think the preflop limp and the flop raise are negative EV in the long run?"

I think any answer to the first question would be subjective. I don't think J9s here is +EV for me, but I certainly can't fault it.

IMO the raise on the flop is +EV. It's possible you have the best hand, and, because of the ragged rainbow, the best draw as well. In addition to the decent back-door flush draw, pairing your kicker doesn't figure to make anybody else a hand.

Add to that the outside possibility that you'll win it there, or perhaps avoid a big bet later, and I believe it's +EV.

Nottom
03-09-2004, 02:21 AM
If the game is as you describe, I see no problems at all with how you played it and would usually play it the same myself.

asdf1234
03-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Nicely played given the texture of the game.