PDA

View Full Version : fly rods in cabelas

Ray Zee
03-07-2004, 09:26 PM
hey i just saw in their sale catalog the 7 piece stowaway fly rods are back and on sale for just 100 smackers. i use the 8 foot for 4 weight with a 5 weight line on it often and like it very much. it casts well and goes thru the brush great. i will pick up another or one of their 5 piece ones which are also only 100 but they arent as good a rod. but they have a 7 1/2 foot one which is the size i like to cast the most.
these rods cast for me just about as good as my 500 dollar sage or custom walton powell. so the new rods are like many things. once technology catches up it evens up the good with the bad.

Zeno
03-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Is the 7-piece rod small enough to fit into a day pack? Hard to believe that they cast almost as good as a two piece rod.

Why is the 5-piece rod not as good?

Ages ago at my Grandfathers house he pulled out a old 7 or 9 piece bamboo rod with large 'steel' ferrules. It weighed about 200 lbs and when you tried to cast - the rod had the action of a fence post with hinges. It was the strangest rod I ever cast or felt. This was in the late 60s when backpacking was on the upswing. It was billed has a backpacking rod. Technology has come a long way.

My Sage 9-foot graphite (salmon rod) was less than $300. Got it from Riverwire.com, a company in Oregon. They just sent me an e-mail bragging that their Winston Boron IIx rods are available. Just $595 to $655, ~2.6 -5 oz rods. Great variety of sizes and line wt. 3-12. Free shipping, no sales tax.

-Zeno

Ed I
03-08-2004, 12:29 AM
I've never cast a multi-piece rod before but for a hundred I'm considering it. Myt rod of choice now is a St Croix. also inexpensive. Good rods at reasonable prices with many manufactures ofering quality for what use to bew low end. I'm just not sure why I would need another rod.

Feb was good mo for midges and March started out nice. A week or so the Skwalla and the March browns should pop. I figure I wont miss a week until late Nov. Only in Jan was I shut out. Life is good.

Ray Zee
03-08-2004, 02:15 PM
the rod is about 18 in. long. and is light weight same as a two piece. they dont have ferrels any more and the action is consistant throughout. no reason to own a two piece rod.
with the small rod pieces i sit it on my dash board as i drive to the next spot all ready to go.
the 5 piece is made out of more fiberglass and isnt as good casting. but still probably fine.