PDA

View Full Version : a general 5/10 6max question, regarding overcards

bugstud
03-07-2004, 06:10 AM
So I played a lot of 5/10 this weekend, I'm curious how everyone approaches playing QJ/KJ/KQ types postflop in these games. Let's say you're 3handed against semi-competent players, which means they aren't folding pairs or draws (meh, terminology may be off here)

I'll flop an A, no one will fold unless I have an ace. I flop overcards with no real draw, and no one folds. I dunno, this more sounds like a rant than anything, but I'm trying to plug some leaks. I'll post some hands here in a moment that gave me trouble.

Azhrarn
03-07-2004, 07:12 PM
3handed in general, or 3 to see the flop? If it's 3 people total, don't forget your KQ and KJ have decent showdown value unimproved.

In general, I like to bet the flop if I raised pf. In general, I don't like to bet the turn if I still have nothing. But if there's an obvious draw on the board, I'm more likely to push it. And some opponents like to call the flop w/ nothing but are capable of folding the turn, so I like to push it against them.

Joe Tall
03-07-2004, 10:28 PM
I think if you are asking such a question you shouldn't be playing in such a game.

Peace,
Joe Tall

kiddo
03-08-2004, 02:24 AM
IF you raise a hand preflop and get 2 callers there is (normally) 6 small blinds in pot.

On flop you are betting 1 to win 7, they only have to fold 1/7 to make it worth betting with a random hand.

If both call there is 12 small bets in pit.

On turn you are investing 2 to win 14, they only have to fold 1/7 to make it right with a random hand.

That is, normally bet both flop and turn.

Both QJ and KJ are shaky holdings if we are talking early position in a 6handed game. If you havent got a lot of experience in this kind of games, folding theses hands UTG and UTG+1 is probably best. Raise them from CO and button. In a game where people coldcall with Axo and take it to showdown if headsup, whatever board, QJ can mean trouble.

Also, dont play to many middle-connected-suited, you need many players and good odds to make 87s and T8s good hands becuase normally you flop a draw and need to pay $ to see if u hit.

bugstud
03-08-2004, 11:40 AM
kiddo's response was more what I was trying to hit on, namely whether or not people's experiences in the 5/10 indicate that they'll fold to my bluff often enough to make it profitable.

Vazh
03-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Some of us are still learning JT.

Nate tha' Great
03-08-2004, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if you are asking such a question you shouldn't be playing in such a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, dude! Did Curt Schilling hurt himself or something? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif I don't think the play of say KQ on an Axx board is automatic by any means.