PDA

View Full Version : $4.000/$8,000

theBruiser500
03-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Curious about the super high stakes games that the top pros play in, a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer.

1) The stakes are so high that whoever is losing the money needs to stop playing the game quickly. How can this game be sustained? How can anyone be a real winner in this game if everyone that plays in it is a regular professional?

2) Do they aim to make 2 BB like at normal medium stake games, or are they just trying to make 1/2 BB or 1/4 a BB, there's nothing wrong with making $2,000 an hour...

I'll probably think of more questions later. I just decided that I want to play in this game someday and not as a fish that has come to drop his money, I want to work my way up there and become a regular. That would be SO cool.

thanks,
danny

Duke
03-07-2004, 08:26 AM
is this a $4/$8000 game or a $4000/$8 game... I know that , and . change meaning in different parts of the world.

Was wondering if any draw or no draw was playable.

But anyhow... Larry Flynt is a big loser in a 1500-3000 game he hosts at his own club, and well... he keeps on playing because he loves the game. It takes a while to lose even $10M in the game, and a lot of rich fish have that kind of money. Ok maybe not a lot, but enough; enough to feed the sharks that have the bankrolls to play in it.

~D

mosch
03-07-2004, 01:08 PM
My understanding of these games is that they work on a few levels.

The first is that there are some pros who hold a minor edge over other pros, and might expect to win a BB or a fraction of a BB off the other pros each day.

The second is that the pros are trading money and waiting for a fish to sit down, so they can chop up his money. If a rich fish sits down at a 2000/4000 game and drops 25BBs while playing with five pros, those pros stand to make approximately $20,000 each. If this were to happen once a week, they'd all be making a very nice living.

AJo Go All In
03-07-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just decided that I want to play in this game someday and not as a fish that has come to drop his money, I want to work my way up there and become a regular. That would be SO cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me guess, been watching the WPT lately? ESPN?

Easy E
03-07-2004, 04:01 PM
what's the proper strategy for a $4- $8,000 spread-limit holdem game?

And would you ever call a $4 minimum bet?

Duke
03-07-2004, 04:33 PM
Not spread limit, fixed limit.

You chase EVERY draw, since the implied odds are enormous. If you have a 22-1 shot, you call the $4 because you figure to win $8k if you hit, and lose $4 if you miss.

in $4k/$8 you chase nothing, since you figure to win 1/500 of what you invested if you hit.

~D

Ulysses
03-07-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You chase EVERY draw, since the implied odds are enormous. If you have a 22-1 shot, you call the $4 because you figure to win $8k if you hit, and lose $4 if you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably most convenient for everyone to just toss in $32 or $40 (or whatever the cap is) each time and have the dealer deal the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
in $4k/$8 you chase nothing, since you figure to win 1/500 of what you invested if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be pretty cumbersome on the turn or river if it's heads-up and the room rules require raises to be put in one at a time. OK, I 876-bet. Make it 877. 878...

Homer
03-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Does your life have any purpose other than trolling these boards waiting for opportunities to put others down?

CrackerZack
03-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Never know... could be taking lessons from SevenStuda

Vehn
03-07-2004, 11:37 PM
I knew I made an awesome hula pick.

Acesover8s
03-07-2004, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just decided that I want to play in this game someday and not as a fish that has come to drop his money, I want to work my way up there and become a regular. That would be SO cool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think Limon was the biggest douche here. . .

jayadd
03-08-2004, 12:22 AM
i have to say that i have never even seen a game like that. the biggest game i ever saw was the 300-600 7stud hi/lo at the Taj that ivey and nick fanagos are the only guys i recognize. Most dont know nick but he's a young guy who won the 1/2 stud and 1/2 holdem at the World poker finals. Good player i was at the final 2 tables with him and he rolled right over me in the 7stud hilo at the same event.
The pots in the 300-600 game get big like 15-30k.

Mike Gallo
03-08-2004, 12:24 AM

Dude,

I actually found this quite funny.

theBruiser500
03-08-2004, 12:54 AM
It's okay, I appreciate AJ Go All In's sense of humor... but it is a fact, I am going to play in the those high stake games.

Acesover8s
03-08-2004, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's okay, I appreciate AJ Go All In's sense of humor

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? And I thought you were cool.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Easy E
03-08-2004, 08:30 AM
You're right, forgot the / notation.

Now, do you play big pairs after the turn? And the bluffing possibilities on the turn are endless.

"in $4k/$8 you chase nothing, since you figure to win 1/500 of what you invested if you hit."
Not exactly true. someone has to put out $8K to get to the $4 round, so there are no implied odds but a lot of immediate money to win. Reading bluffs would be the key to this game.

glen
03-08-2004, 09:31 AM
I don't think that kind of uselessness can be taught. . .

Greg (FossilMan)
03-08-2004, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The pots in the 300-600 game get big like 15-30k.

[/ QUOTE ]

??

30K is 50 big bets. You need like 4 guys capping it on every street to get there. And you almost never see that much action. The biggest pots I recall ever seeing from many hours of 150-300 were a bit over $10K. And those were VERY rare. A more typical 150-300 pot would be like $2500-3500.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

hetron
03-08-2004, 03:04 PM
I can only talk about the higher limit action I have seen on the East Coast. Even then I have only played as high as $100-200 on rare occasions, I will make a few observations:

1. There is a lot of BAD play at high limits. I don't mean $20-40 bad. I mean $2-4 bad. Not always from the presumed fish either. Some of the "pros" can occasionally go on tilt big time. That being said there are a few players who always seem to play under complete control, and whose skill I admire.

2. You would be shocked at how many people walk in to the high-limit poker area and say "I have seen this game on TV and I want to play it". With thousands of dollars in their hands! At first you think it is someone attempting to run a little game, but then you realize they TRULY DON'T KNOW how to play. Amazing.

3. There is a certain segment of the high-limit population who sees the game as not as just a diversion but I think as legitimate investing. These ar the blue collar types who have made quite a bit of money in fields like plumbing, construction, eateries, etc. Many of them have a significant amount of cash that they do not declare to the government, and instead of traditional investing (mutual funds, stocks, bonds) choose to take their cash over to large limit poker games.

Good luck in your trip up the high-limit poker ladder!

scrub
03-08-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a certain segment of the high-limit population who sees the game as not as just a diversion but I think as legitimate investing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the phrase you're looking for is "money laundering."

And I thought it was funny too. Then again, I like limon... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

scrub

jayadd
03-09-2004, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

??

30K is 50 big bets. You need like 4 guys capping it on every street to get there. And you almost never see that much action. The biggest pots I recall ever seeing from many hours of 150-300 were a bit over $10K. And those were VERY rare. A more typical 150-300 pot would be like $2500-3500.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan

[/ QUOTE ]

in stud hilo its very possible for there to be 15k in a 300-600 game.

4 players x 5 betting rounds with 1 min. raise per round=5100 per player x 4 = 20,400
thats with no caps and only 4 players so it is very possible....

SevenStuda
03-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the name drop, Cracker. By the way, you suck.

Greg (FossilMan)
03-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Of course it's possible. But your post implied, as I read it, that those were the "typical" pots. It's the typical part I don't buy, not that the biggest pots wouldn't be that big.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)