PDA

View Full Version : Playing online for a living week 45

davidross
03-07-2004, 04:08 AM
Well another happy week in the davidross household. I really wanted to report that I was on my way to Vegas for the WSOP, and I came close, but alas that dream is still just a dream. Empire/Party have continued to have technical problems all week. The tournaments seemed to be most affected by it, with several days and nights where they didn’t run any tourneys. I understand they are under some ‘Denial of Service’ attacks, and I sure hope they get it sorted out. Doesn’t seem to be affecting the number of players though. Over 40,000 some nights this week. I played a couple of qualifying tournaments early in the week and for a couple of reasons decided to stop and just pay the $215 and enter the Saturday semi-final. First of all, there were a couple of nights where the qualifiers didn’t run, and 2nd of all, playing in the multi table qualifiers is costing me a lot of playing time. Between the income I’m not earning, and the ancillary benefits (E-points and affiliate income) I don’t get because my hands played go down, I decided it’s not worth it to keep playing a lot of these qualifiers. On the other hand, I’m getting better at them so I will still play a couple each week.

First the ring games. I had another great week. I’m getting very comfortable with my new pre-flop raising standards. I am finding it much easier to play post-flop as well simply by raising more on the flop. I have to assume I’m getting better than average cards right now as well, so it’s difficult to say how much my improved results have to do with my play, but I’m not complaining. I started out Sunday with a nice $318 win. Monday was another $668 in the win column, and Tuesday was a big day winning $1,302, most of it after my curling game and a couple of beers. Wednesday was almost as good, up another $1,180, and at that point I had 8 wins in the last 9 days. Thursday started out pretty well, but around 1:00 AM I started my first big losing streak in a while. After being up over $700, I lost almost all of it and finished the day up $65. Then Friday I didn’t play in the afternoon, but struggled all night and lost another $427. I played only a few hands Saturday and lost another $70 putting me in a 120 BB losing skid right now. I need to tell you about my Saturday Tournament though to get my final number for the week.

As I mentioned I decided to just pay the 200 + 15 for the WSOP qualifier and there were 74 entrants. For some reason the prize pool was set out like a normal tournament with 1st place getting over $4K and paying 10 places. There was no mention of a WSOP seat even though they advertised 1 seat for each 60 entrants. As of right now I still don’t know if the winner got his seat plus the $4K, but because I made the final table I do know that they paid as per the prize pool they listed. As happy as I am to get paid, I am confused why the payout was like that, and until I figure out what happened I won’t play any more qualifiers. Bottom line was I finished 4th and got paid $1,480. That put my final total for the week at $4,262, my 2nd biggest week ever. I have averaged over $2,500 / wk for the last 8 weeks, making even more certain that the fresh blood has made the Party/Empire games softer.

In a complete turnaround, I did very well in the multi-table tournies this week, and very poorly in the single tables. I made the final table in all 3 of my multi’s, and only cashed once in 6 single’s, a second. The first final table I made I came to the final table with only 1 big blind worth of chips and was gone right away. In the 2nd I had a healthy stack, and was about 4th, with 2 players to qualify. I proceeded to get TT, JJ, TT and QQ in the next 2 orbits, and lost them all, and I was out. But on Saturday, I had my best finish ever. I got no big pairs at all in the whole tournament, which makes my results even more remarkable. I played 280 hands without getting a pair over 10’s. I did get TT 3 times, and won with them each time. I got to the first break with almost exactly my starting chips. No big hands, but a couple of small pots kept me even. I never made it to 2,000 chips, but I never got below 800 either and as we approached the 2nd break I was still hanging in and we were at 2 full tables. I folded my blinds just before the break leaving me with $729 and the blinds at 100/200, limits of 200/400. My first 6 hands all had a 2 in them and I folded all of them. With the blinds approaching I played a rather remarkable hand. I raised an UTG limper with KTo. It looked like AA to me after all the hands I had seen. He had a lot of chips, but was very quick to fold on the flop and I was really hoping to play just him. Unfortunately I got a cold caller as well, but both blinds folded. Flop came 9 8 3 rainbow. UTG checked and I bet 200. Cold caller called again, but UTG folded. Turn was another 8. I bet my last 129, and the cold caller folded!!! I can’t begin to fathom what he had, that he would fold this 2K plus pot for another 129 dollars, but I thank him. Suddenly I had enough chips to go around a couple more times. And I took advantage of it. The chip leader at the time was really playing the bully, and very successfully. He was raising any Ace, and betting any flop. I played back at him a couple of times with good hands though and he folded. Very quickly I had over 5000 chips and was comfortably in a final table position. There were 11 left when this hand came up. Our table was 5 handed and I open raised 99. Folded to the bully in the BB who 3 bet me. He did this all the time. Limits are now 400/800, and he has triple my chips at 15K. Flop is Jd 6d 2d. I have no diamond and he bets. I call. Turn is Kd. He bets and I fold, leaving me 3400, and still in a position to make the final table. It wasn’t an easy fold because he would play any hand this way. But I think it was smart. The final table started with me short on chips, but I went on a roll finally. I won a couple of pots from the bully, we lost a few players and suddenly we are 5 handed. Bully has 23,400, and I’m second with 17,700. The pivotal hand of my tournament went like this. Bully limps from the button. He has done this a lot since I 3 bet his button raise 3 times earlier. I get a free play with K2o. Flop comes K 4 2 rainbow. I check, he bets and I just call. He will bet the turn no matter what so I decided to check raise him there. Turn is a 3 putting a second club on the board. I check, he bets and I raise him. He 3 bets me. He has folded to all me raises so far, so I’m not sure what this means. I don’t know if he’d make this play with AA or AK, but I think he would. Limits are 600/1200 so the pot is big. I just call his 3 bet. River brings another K. I check, he bets and I raise. K4 and K3 are all I have to worry about now. He 3 bets, I cap and of course he has K3. I watch 20,000 chips slide his way, and I’m down to 7000. I felt like I’d been kicked in the balls. One more guy went out and I climbed back over 10K when we were down to 4 players, but two AK hands that missed put me out. It was pretty exciting though, and I can’t wait to try again. My patience was much better tonight. I guess I could have saved a few chips on that K2 hand, but that was pretty unfortunate.

Some random musings from this week. It’s pretty clear to me that we all have different reasons for playing poker. Obviously we all enjoy card games and the thrill of competition, but I think if you asked everyone what their number 1 goal, or reason for playing was we’d get a bunch of different answers. Personally I am trying to make as much money as I can, but that wasn’t always the case. The first year I was playing I was trying to improve my game as much, and as quickly as I could. Towards those goals I played in games that were above my level of proficiency, and quite often I lost. I did however improve, so I guess you could say I still achieved my goals. It is my belief that a huge number of poker players are playing a limit beyond their abilities, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t achieving their goals. Some wall street fund manager making 7 figures, isn’t going to enjoy himself playing 2/4 poker, yet that might be the proper limit for him. So he drops a few hundred, or even thousands playing 10/20 and doesn’t bat an eye. His goal is just to compete. And I see a lot of people playing who just want someone to recognize how great or smart they are. These are the table coaches. Their goal can’t be to earn as much as they could, or else they wouldn’t tell others how bad they are playing. These are the guys who have to show you the AA you just cracked so you know they had the better hand pre-flop. As much as I want to take them to task for being idiots at the table, I have to recognize that they would rather play that way than play optimally. More power to them.

There are so many tells I am starting to recognize that are used by average players. The real trick is determining who the better than average players are and not falling into the trap of thinking they are playing like joe average. When the flop comes out like JJ6, and the average guy bets from the blinds, he doesn’t have a J. The average guy slowplays his J and try’s to get more. The better players bet out with their trips and tend to make more on the hand overall. I almost made the best laydown of my life yesterday, but I still didn’t believe what is an obvious online tell. I had AQ and was in a 4 way pot. On the river, the board was KKKQJ. I had led the betting every street, and when the 3rd King rivered I bet again. My opponent used up half of his clock before raising. The long dramatic pause is such a giveaway I knew he had the quads. But I couldn’t bring myself to fold my hand and I paid him off. He did have the K.

Just for an update, I have 70,000 hands in my Poker Tracker database now, all from 5/10 shorthanded games. I’ve raised my BB/100 hands to exactly 2. Considering it was at 1.02 just 3 weeks ago, I’m thrilled with that number. Until this last week my rake paid was almost exactly the same as my earnings. I have now pushed my earnings almost 2K ahead of my rake paid, but I’m still paying a phenomenal amount of rake every month. Some interesting observations are that UTG I’m losing money with 88 and 77 (I don’t play the smaller pairs UTG). I don’t know if I should start mucking them too or not. I’m also losing money with AQs, but not with AQo, so I think that’s just a statistical anomaly.

Poker Tracker has also identified 5 or 6 regular opponents that I have played over 10 sessions with, that are significant winners. Until recently I had all of them pegged as recklessly aggressive. Clearly weak tight is not the way to play shorthanded poker.

Life is sure sweet when you’re running well. I’m on an amazing roll, and the affiliate money is in. Please remind me of this when the next losing streak hits and I’m whining because I’m losing. Have a good week everyone.

joker122
03-07-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi. I usually am in the SS forum and haven't been keeping up with your attempt to play for a living. Just curious...what have you accumulated total for the 45 weeks?

Nick B.
03-07-2004, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately I got a cold caller as well, but both blinds folded. Flop came 9 8 3 rainbow. UTG checked and I bet 200. Cold caller called again, but UTG folded. Turn was another 8. I bet my last 129, and the cold caller folded!!! I can’t begin to fathom what he had, that he would fold this 2K plus pot for another 129 dollars, but I thank him.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a no limit tournament, I had 74o in the blinds (150-300). There were two callers and I checked (1050 pot). The flop was 358 and I bet 750 as a semibluff on my gutshot, only the button called (2550 pot). The turn was a 2 and I was openended. I checked and the button bet the min 600, leaving himself 96, and I called (3750 pot). The river was a 9. I checked and he bet his last 96. I folded. I took some criticism at the table for folding for 96, but I had the nut low. Please don't critique the play of the hand as I am definitely not an expert, but I just wanted to show you why some people mind fold for such a small bet.

El Barto
03-07-2004, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tuesday was a big day winning $1,302, most of it after my curling game and a couple of beers.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who says poker and alcohol doesn't mix?

MicroBob
03-07-2004, 07:58 AM
"In a no limit tournament, I had 74o in the blinds (150-300). There were two callers and I checked (1050 pot). The flop was 358 and I bet 750 as a semibluff on my gutshot, only the button called (2550 pot). The turn was a 2 and I was openended. I checked and the button bet the min 600, leaving himself 96, and I called (3750 pot). The river was a 9. I checked and he bet his last 96. I folded. I took some criticism at the table for folding for 96, but I had the nut low. Please don't critique the play of the hand as I am definitely not an expert, but I just wanted to show you why some people mind fold for such a small bet. "

i love this example. and love the phrase 'nut-low'.
curious if there is a point at which one should consider calling a river bet here. i might consider calling a bet of $1 into a pot of $2000 as that may give me appropriate odds on the off-chance of a nut-low split-pot.

congrats to david on another solid week.

i will also be curious to hear any explanation regarding the weird prize-pool in your WSOP-entry tourney that seemingly included no WSOP-entries.

a suggestion - it seems that every week there is always someone asking for an update as to your total fo rthe year or your weekly average since the start.
a quick numbers run-down each week would be terrific if you are okay with sharing such info.

just curious - i guess you don't do any bonus-whoring at ub or paradise....both have offered multiple bonuses in the past few weeks.
obviously the play is a bit tougher on those sites and it takes you away from your favorite fish-pool with all the notes that you have on your favorite players.....but i thought the amount that you play would make it very easy to clear the bonuses extremely quickly and grab a little extra dough (or rake-free play....or however you want to look at it).

personally, i love hitting the bonuses at each of the major sites and find it to be quite profitable even at just $50 or $100 at a shot.

benfranklin
03-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for more great info.

[ QUOTE ]
I’m getting very comfortable with my new pre-flop raising standards. I am finding it much easier to play post-flop as well simply by raising more on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds as if you have some fairly definite standards for pre-flop play. Are these based more or less on the work of a particular writer, or are they your own synthesis based on experience? I assume that you are playing in middle limit ring games. Is there a particular writer who's pre-flop standards you would recommend as a starting point for an on-line newbie starting in very low limit games? Thanks in advance for any help.

davidross
03-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Just over 65K

davidross
03-07-2004, 04:59 PM
The basis of my openi8ng standards came from the abdul jalib posev site. I liked the fact that he described hands from teh number of places off the button, rather than EP, MP and LP. This made it easy to use in different games, full table and shorthanded. I have adapted it a bit but I still use his table to a great extent.

davidross
03-07-2004, 05:00 PM
WHen I played live for th efirst time in Vegas I had a lot of beer. I found it helped calm my nerves. I think your fine until you reach that "impaired" stage.

MicroBob
03-07-2004, 06:00 PM
ben,

look back at david's last couple of weekly posts.
he is playing on the party 6-max 5/10 tables....he says usually 3 or 4 at a time i believe.

the last couple of weeks he has worked on raising more frequently.

benfranklin
03-07-2004, 07:13 PM
micro:

Thanks. I just started going back through the old posts.

1800GAMBLER
03-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Next year you'll be on Sklansky's list of pros who can earn $100k! .. keep your win rate up and 40 hours per week and that's $166k next year before you even test out $10/$20.

Schneids
03-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Great week David! Can't wait to see ya on 10/20SH, sounds like you're well on your way to being there soon.

lefty rosen
03-09-2004, 02:00 AM
David have you started scouting the 10/20 games? I have noticed the late night 5/10 games seem to play like 1/2 short games, are the 10/20 games just as soft? If the games are tight it might be better to stay at a level where the poor players will pay you off, versus weak preflop-calls and folding when they dont catch a piece of the flop.....

davidross
03-09-2004, 04:36 AM
I haven't looked at them at all. I'm running so well right now I'm reluctant to change anything, but I think I will start by playing 3 5/10 games and 1 10/20 and see if I notice a big difference.

ZeeJustin
03-09-2004, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I will start by playing 3 5/10 games and 1 10/20 and see if I notice a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll save you some time. There is a HUGE difference. The 10/20 is far more aggressive (and the 15/30 is ridiculously aggressive, beyond my comprehension of how a somewhat tight game can be that overly aggressive, but I digress). You will have to adjust your play a great deal, especially by figuring out who the overly aggressive players are. There are a lot of 10/20 regulars that raise 25% of the pots preflop, but still see only 30% of the flops. If you ajdust correctly, they can be easy money, but if you don't adjust, they will bust you.

Just because there is a huge difference, doesn't make it a bad game. There will be a lot of people overplaying their hands, so this creates a whole new way to make money. It's just a matter of adjusting properly.

ehenry
03-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I would like to watch you play. I don't know if you keep your handle private or not. I've looked for you on Empire but with no success. Please let me know.

lefty rosen
03-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Thats what I thought, as for the 15/30 all of the losing players there might as well take a bus to neighbourhood GA meetings. As I have seen some of the strangest birdy hands forcing it by 3 betting and capping them then following through with them........

jwvdcw
03-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm curious as to where I can see a copy of this list.

Rakkad
03-10-2004, 02:34 AM
Does anyone have a link to a page with abdul jalib's starting hand req's, seems link on his site is down.

Thanks

smudgex68
03-10-2004, 04:45 AM
Abdul Jalib preflop strategy (http://posev.com/poker/holdem/strategy/preflop-abdul.html)

ammbo
03-10-2004, 03:03 PM
David, I am curious about the tax implications of your new profession. You have no doubt addressed this before, could you point me to that thread of briefly summarize how you handle taxes? Thanks.

Inthacup
03-10-2004, 03:36 PM
could you point me to that thread of briefly summarize how you handle taxes?

He's Canadian.

Cup

DontTellMama
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
David,

I, like many others, have been following your weekly progress and greatly appreciate the time you contribute to sharing your experiences. I have two questions, which I hope you don't mind answering (and input from others would be appreciated):

1) How do you accurately request your hand histories (to be imported into Poker Tracker) every 100 hands while playing 3-4 tables at a time such that you don't miss any hands? Some times I'm playing and lose track of the number of hands I've played then I realize its hand #130 and I can only request the last 100 hands, causing me to lose 30 hands that I should have imported into Poker Tracker.

2) When you're running bad/cold/getting cold-decked, etc., how do you decide when to shut it down for the night? I'm disciplined when it comes to winning such that I can sit down with a goal ($100 over $150 starting on 3/6) and walk away when I reach that goal. However, when its bad and I blow through the $150 in 45 mins, I'll rebuy and repeat the process. The next thing I know, in 2 hours, I've lost what took me 10 hours to win. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

And remember ... Don't Tell Mama /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MarkD
03-11-2004, 07:03 PM
So I am, and my brother is an accountant. I've discussed the tax implications for poker and what to do as a pro. Although, gambling is not taxable per se in Canada I believe he said there is a provision that would allow the government to tax David if gambling was his sole source of income.

Now, I've debated this with my brother and he thinks the government would be on shaky grounds to persue this and he wasn't entirely positive about the clause but it's something to keep in mind. His recommendation - file a tax return declaring zero income (or income from any other sources), but no need to declare poker as income until you are questioned about it. In his words, you are less likely to raise a flag if you file than if you don't.

All of the above applies only in Canada and this is me relaying information from simple discussions with my brother and as such should be taken as only that.

bisonbison
03-11-2004, 07:08 PM
1) PokerTracker has an autorequest feature that can be set on different timers. On 4 full tables, a timer of 10 minutes will mean you never miss a hand. It might have to be higher on 4 shorthanders.

2) Money management techniques are not a good way to think about your sessions. If you are playing well and the game is good, why would you ever leave if you didn't need to? If you are playing poorly or the game is bad, why would you ever stay? It's all one big session, so just focus on whether playing the next hand is going to have a positive impact or a negative impact on you, your mood, your bankroll and/or your time.

davidross
03-12-2004, 12:05 AM
This is essentially the same advice I have been given. For 2003 I had my legitimate business Income and I will trat my gambling income as a hobby. For 2004 I will have to see if I get any regular income or not. THis is one of the reasons I think trying to write a book about this might be a good idea, to give me some legitimate income for the year.

MicroBob
03-12-2004, 01:14 AM
yes...use the auto-request feature under the utilities tab and you will never have this problem again.

MicroBob
03-12-2004, 01:16 AM
more important....set up a pop3 email account so that you can have the HH's automatically requested...and then have them automatically imported to p-tracker.

Kenrick
03-12-2004, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

2) When you're running bad/cold/getting cold-decked, etc., how do you decide when to shut it down for the night? I'm disciplined when it comes to winning such that I can sit down with a goal ($100 over $150 starting on 3/6) and walk away when I reach that goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing well in a good game, you continue to play until you aren't playing well anymore. It's that simple. "Win goals" and such are made-up nonsense. I've been in games where I was going to go to bed at 1am but the table was so good that I wasn't leaving until the two biggest fish lost all their money. THAT'S how you decide when to quit for the day; not some made-up win or loss limit.

I only played for an hour today and was up $100. I could have quit then and had warm and fuzzy feelings for the rest of the day, but that'd be stupid. So I played for another hour and lost $50 of it back. Did I lose $50? Not really. It was a good game, so I kept playing. And that's all there is to it.

MicroBob
03-12-2004, 04:08 AM
there's a thread recently in either psychology or news-views regarding stop-loss goofyness.
trying to book a night's win and walking away is NOT the way to maximize your profits.

if you are playing in a good game, you stay....if you are playing in a game that isn't so great then you can leave and either call it a night or try to find a better one (easy enough to do online).

if you are a winning player, just play as many quality hours as you can on the best tables you can find.

if you are worried about losing a single buy-in at 3/6 then perhaps you should think about whether you would be better off playing at a lower level.
even the best players lose their initial buy-in on a semi-frequent basis. if you sit down at a table and are not prepared for the possibility of losing that buy-in then you shouldn't be playing at that table in the first place.

wayabvpar
03-12-2004, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
more important....set up a pop3 email account so that you can have the HH's automatically requested...and then have them automatically imported to p-tracker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there any free email accounts that do this? I gave up on pokertracker a while back because I couldn't find a way to automate this, and cutting and pasting was getting on my last nerve (a lot of work after a long session!). My home email client (MSN) doesn't work, and neither does my Yahoo account. Any suggestions?

obex
03-12-2004, 11:59 AM
I recently opened a 2nd account on party and can no longer use my pop email account. So I started using Yahoo and I like it more. I use the auto hand request. Then open the yahoo email, hit ctrl-s for save, save page under a one letter filename to desktop, then go straight to the select file to import button on the import screen of the tracker. Just type in the one letter filename and you're done. The whole thing takes about 10 seconds once you've done it once because both the browser and tracker remember the filename and location (just overwrite the file everytime). I prefer this to the pop email import because I found that often the tracker wouldn't delete the file after reading it, wouldn't find files, etc.
The only downside is if you let the history emails build up you can't download them all to the tracker as a group, you have to do them individually.

george w of poker
03-12-2004, 05:11 PM
i assume msn will set you up with a pop3 account if thats your isp.

MarkD
03-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Can't hurt. My brother advised me that "if" I was to try playing for a living I should try and get contract work for a little while during the year as well that I could claim as income.