PDA

View Full Version : Quiestion about affiliates

curtains
03-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I run a website and was planning on adding a bunch of affiliate banners in a newly developed poker page.

Meanwhile I read the posts on here and affiliates are referred to as "blood sucking leaches - slimy thieves" etc etc. What's the reason that this is looked so poorly upon? Some of my friends who play for a living make a signifigant amount more because they get part of their rake back (10-15%) from affiliate deals.
Are people who work as affiliates really as despised as the vibe is on this website?

Lori
03-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Meanwhile I read the posts on here and affiliates are referred to as "blood sucking leaches - slimy thieves" etc etc. What's the reason that this is looked so poorly upon

Most affiliate sites, and I mean most, are full of lies and gibberish. Anything to get you to click that banner.
Affiliates like to spend time spamming, sort of like begging but with lies, to get their customers.

A very small percentage run an honest site with backup for their customers and their reviews, customer service and payouts are all excellent.

The reason that affiliates have the tag they do is because that 'small percentage' is wayyyyyyy too small.

Lori

Losing all
03-06-2004, 09:27 PM
All those Y's made me think of Gabs. I miss her, god help me, I miss her.

BradleyT
03-06-2004, 09:38 PM
They get a bad rap for sending PMs here spamming people to join under them.

If your website has poker related content on it, go for it! That's exactly why affiliate programs were created.

OnlinePokerCoach
03-06-2004, 10:17 PM
It is my understanding that these rake rebate deals are not encouraged nor allowed by sites like PartyPoker and EmpirePoker. I do not know the rules for other poker rooms. You should check with your affiliated poker rooms before advertising or offering any such rake rebate.

I get asked for rake rebates all the time by potential referrals. I have chosen not to provide them in order to work within the rules.

Inthacup
03-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Yeah, but I still don't miss Ryan_21 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm in Vegas and have played hours upon hours of poker at the Bellagio? Trip report coming soon...

Cup

JAque
03-06-2004, 11:00 PM
As far as the Banners, I don't see much different than JC Penny advertising something that has a sticker of $100 with 50% off when you can buy the same thing some where else for $35.

I think most people feel moraly raped by an affiliate making money by just having a banner in their site without providing any other free service/help.

Rakebacks does required a level of trust. However, as anything without a legal binding, you are in your own if promises are not kept.

JAque