PDA

View Full Version : An Unpopular Opinion On HULA

Lucky
03-06-2004, 04:20 PM
First of all, I realize the bulk of 2 + 2 movers and shakers are part of HULA (team captains or whatever). And there is a certain giddy "we're part of a team, there's camraderie, something i never imagined possible in poker" aspect. And everyone could use work on their HU game.

I get all that.

I'm just requesting that you confine the HULA posts to the HU and SH forum. The rah-rah and chest beating isn't poker, and doesn't need to be on the most important forum at 2 + 2.

Most importantly, David Ross comes out with his weekly update tomorrow. I know it's "results oriented and he's just winning because of the poker boom." Whatever, it is about the only non-strategy related post I really look forward to each Sunday.

All I'm saying is that these unbelievably long HULA threads are going to ruin what has usually been the best, most B.S.-free forum thus far.

Flame away.

BugsBunny
03-06-2004, 04:24 PM
One suggestion for you. View the forum in "collapsed" mode (click "collapse" in the upper right hand), then you can just open the threads that interest you and you won't see all the clutter from the real long uninteresting (to you) threads.

gonores
03-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Lucky,

I very much understand (and trust me...your opinion isn't unpopular....I have been getting PM flamed by a bunch of old-schooler B&M 2+2ers). I would not have set this up in the general forum in the first place, excpet that a similar heads-up league was and is being operated by Schneids2k02 in the HU forum, and we wanted to avoid confusion. I too find most of the best material on 2+2 on this forum, and I have been trying to keep the number of HULA threads down (if you'd note...I have been making multiple announcements in the same threads). I am currently working on finding a new home for HULA (a site dedicated to it). For right now, let me say that deluge of HULA threads will probably subside once we have all the kinks worked out of the system. Give another day or two, and we'll basically be out of your hair, less one thread over here dedicated for posting results and such.

Not to mention the HU-SH forum is picking up a lot of steam right now, thanks to Ulysses, mike l., and soda beginning to post along with a bunch of other up-and-coming poker brainiacs. I'm sure they don't us over there either.

Cool?

Doug

Lucky
03-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I usually do view in collapsed mode. I don't think many others do however, and I've seen these unbelievably long threads ruin a forum, at least for a time, i.e. "what's wrong with the small stakes forum."

Oh well, no biggie.

Joe Tall
03-06-2004, 04:30 PM
doesn't need to be on the most important forum at 2 + 2.

Yes, the posts about Rounders, Loose game complaints, folding AA preflop the 1st hand of the WSOP, personal results updates, and random questions about professional poker, need to be protected.

They are by far and away some of the best work and posts here on two plus two. I would be still playing 1/2 at Party Poker without them.

Funny that you've added another HULA thread.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Lucky
03-06-2004, 04:33 PM
No prob Doug,

As I said earlier, I think HULA is a great idea, and I would play if I had more time (hopefully in the future, as my HU game is weak).

Also, I would really like to see actual strategy HU discussion, as there really is no literature out there on HU and the HU and SH forum is usually all about SH play.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Joe Tall
03-06-2004, 04:35 PM
I would really like to see actual strategy HU discussion

Um, have you been to the HU/SH forum?

Peace,
Joe Tall

Lucky
03-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Ah, sarcastic Joe, so far above the rounders talk, filled with disdain for David Ross' results oriented posts, playing nothing but the 100/200 at Stars....you stud. Must be so -EV for you to even post here. Shouldn't you and the Count be wrecking some game somewhere?

All I'm saying is that this is the general Holdem forum, and for it to be taken over by talk about a LEAGUE that is very specifically meant for ANOTHER forum seems illogical, although I did appreciate Doug's straightforward reply.

Lucky
03-06-2004, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, have you been to the HU/SH forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and it's overwhelmingly Shorthanded discussion.

gonores
03-06-2004, 04:49 PM
There is not really any true HU talk over there. It's most Party 6max right now.

That being said, I doubt there will ever be true HU discussion, because the game is all about making adjustments to your opponent. There's very few "right" answers on how to play HU. It would sound silly, wouldn't it?

I'm playing a LAG Red Sox fan who has a penchant for hurting little children. I get dealt Q6s in the SB/button.

I raise?

He 3bets, I call.

Flop comes Q54r

He checks, I bet, he checkraises, I 3bet, he caps.

Turn is a J

He checks, I bet, he checkraises, I fold.

I'm sure there is a place for this line of play against a particular opponent, but the development of this line would come exclusively from your read on the opponent. A specific read on your opponent and some basic poker sense is all you really need to kick some ass at HU poker.

Moral of the story? Hard to talk HU strategy because, as cliche as it sounds, reads are important and the cards don't matter too much.

Joe Tall
03-06-2004, 04:57 PM
All I'm saying is that this is the general Holdem forum,

That's basically what I was saying too. I don't understand how you cannont see that. There is so so much more information on the other forums that's much higher quality and importance than the ones I've listed.

You have me wrong, however, I like the posts in here; I have no distain for them. They are entertaining. Until Doug finds another home HULA, I feel it's fine. I find the HULA posts entertaining.

Just like the 'Wrong w/SS forum' post, I don't understand why others cannot ignore them.

Peace Lucky,
Joe

Joe Tall
03-06-2004, 05:01 PM
That being said, I doubt there will ever be true HU discussion, because the game is all about making adjustments to your opponent.

Well put.

Moral of the story? Hard to talk HU strategy because, as cliche as it sounds, reads are important and the cards don't matter too much.

Well put again.

Peace,
Joe Tall