PDA

View Full Version : losing my touch or bad beats??

mrwhippy
03-06-2004, 03:47 PM
I have been playing poker for a fair while now and before I post this query I feel I should stress that over the course of that time I am considerably in profit through a variety of straight cash games and tournaments both internet and home based (all hold 'em).
The problem I am currently having (one month duration(ish)) is that I seem to have become incapable of winning.I seem to either;
1) get dealt rubbish
2)get dealt promise which fails to improve
3)get dealt good hands which improve then get scuppered by really big draw flops(ie,last week got dealt KK, flop came KTJ,bet(limit game)4 stayers,turn was rags,all checked with me in late position,raised to knock the drawers off,2 stayed,only cards can realistically beat me are A or Q,next card(guess!?!?) .....A,having raised twice(I believe correctly) i got raised,then re-raised and had to lay my hand down.I'm not wanting advice about that hand (although youre welcome to give me some if you see fit),I'm just using it as an example of what I see as "bad luck"
4)get called when I want folds,get folds when I want calls (playing internet poker this has been happening particularly so I'm pretty sure I'm not giving away tells)
5)go into the showdown with a very good hand only to be beaten by the only combination of hole cards that can win (I know without the "nuts" you have to be careful but I also know that its not every hand that someone has the nuts and so 2nd best possible hand is often enough the winning hand.....not at the moment however!!)
I'm not by any means losing fortunes..more of a slow but steady dribble and I am still winning hands,its just that profit per hour has become deficit per hour for about 20 of the last 25 hours play(maybe more).I'm pretty sure I'm not "on tilt" but I'm also VERY not enjoying my poker at the moment....the frustration levels are definitely mounting.I've analysed my play and had constructive discussions with poker playing friends (who I trust) and I'm pretty sure my game hasn't changed.I've read lots of theory stuff and by and large play "textbook poker" so the likelihood of me playing emotionally is less and, like I said, I dont feel like I'm playing emotionally.
I know we all go through bad spells and that ultimately although there is a huge amount of skill in poker there is also a huge amount of luck involved.
What I'm hoping for is that others of you who have been through similar spells have advice for how to deal with it/turn it round/ride it out/minimise the damage etc etc etc
Your thoughts are all greatly appreciated. /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

illunious
03-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I recommend reading this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=11606&F_Board=psych&Threa d=204604&partnumber=1&postmarker=) by Clarkmeister.