PDA

View Full Version : Could someone explain to me what a value bet is?

ctv1116
03-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Everyone here talks about value bets, like "You should have value bet the river" or "Did I miss a value bet?" Could someone explain this term to me?

crockpot
03-06-2004, 01:17 PM
basically, it means that when you are called, you will have the best hand more often than not. so if you somehow know that your opponent will call with 49 hands that beat yours and 51 that you beat, you are betting for value (assuming he does not raise).

James Boston
03-06-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't disagree with you, but wouldn't the simplest explanation be- a bet that you want someone to call, as opposed to an isolation raise, bluff raise, etc.. ?

crockpot
03-07-2004, 11:42 AM
not necessarily. say there is a big pot, and on the last round you asssess your chances of having the best hand at about 80%. if he always folds to your bet here, it is much better than if he always calls, even though you will win an extra bet 80% of the time if he always calls. if he always folds you will win what is in the pot 100% of the time, a better result.

basically, value betting means that your result is better by betting and getting called, than by having the betting checked around. but you don't necessarily want to be called; if your opponent is a weak player, your result may be better if he folds.