PDA

View Full Version : 'I'd Rather be Lucky Than Good'

Malone Brown
03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
I just finished reading Robert Varkonyi's article in Cardplayer about his WSOP win. I've heard all the trash talk before about him getting very lucky. I though "hey..you can't win these things without getting lucky once or twice right?" But this was rediculous. That man got extremely lucky on numerous occations. Maybe I only think this because I haven't read any other stories from WSOP champions about the hands they got lucky on. Just curious if anyone else has given a run down of their WSOP suck-outs?

Malone Brown
03-05-2004, 07:27 PM
sorry, for the non-readers

article (http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=13878)

thirddan
03-05-2004, 08:21 PM
i think the pokertop10 website has a list of WSOP suckout...not sure of the URL, just search on google for "poker top ten"

Rushmore
03-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Robert Varkonyi seems like a very pleasant sort of feller. I see no reason to think anything but good of him.

That said, I believe Robert Varkonyi to be the least-talented main event champion in the history of the WSOP.

I have to side with Hellmuth. Varkonyi had no business winning that thing.

Yet he DID, so, uh, what the hell do I know? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Malone Brown
03-06-2004, 04:22 PM
I just found it very strange that he would let everyone know of all the suckouts he made during the WSOP. If that was me, I think I'd let as little people know as possible /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bob T.
03-06-2004, 05:13 PM
The hands he listed, were almost all all-in hands for someone, so the hands were exposed, and they were probably reported somewhere. I think that he acknowledged that he was fortunate on those hands says something about how he views the game, and how he views his results.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

jwvdcw
03-10-2004, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Robert Varkonyi seems like a very pleasant sort of feller.

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems like a weird sort of feller imo. Very strange sense of humor I see in interviews, particularly the ones shown during this year's WSOP.

PokerBabe(aka)
03-10-2004, 09:58 AM
I haven't read this entire thread, but I think Varkonyi's article was pretty lame. I think we all know what it means to be "lucky". What we need instruction on is how to be "good".

LGPG,

Babe /images/graemlins/heart.gif

wm r the rake
03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
i have to agree pokerbabe!!!! pretty lame indeed