PDA

View Full Version : AK hand - Bad call on the river?

ApolloQuiet
03-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero bets, MP3 calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP3 shows 8s 9s (flush, nine high).
Hero shows Kd As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP3 wins 10.50 BB. </font>

I don't think its the worst call I've ever made, but these type of hands have been happening a lot recently, and I've been wondering if its a leak in my game that I should be evaluating, or if its just the norm, and I should be glad that he or she's calling me down with limited outs, especially on the flop?

Jeffage
03-05-2004, 06:57 PM
This call is automatic. Folding in this spot will encourage opponents to run you off hands frequently, and there is a decent chance your hand is good. The flush is runner-runner making it less likely. Also, many will bet the riv if they would check-call a bet. You gotta look him up here.

Jeff

sthief09
03-05-2004, 07:14 PM
You're getting 9.5-1 on your opponent not having you beat. People do strange things, and I think you'll win in this situation far more than 2 times in 21. The fact that you're heads up and closing the action also plays a big role in this decision.

asdf1234
03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Seems like a pretty easy call to me. His bet came out of nowhere, and you'd think that if he had a real hand, he'd go for a checkraise. Unless you have an excellent read on the player (which indicates that he has you beat), you probably need to call.