PDA

View Full Version : Question from a drunken profiteer:

Baulucky
03-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I love poker. But I love money a lot more. I have made $6K through hustling, poker bonus whoring, BJ bonus whoring, and straight poker playing at low limits (always clearing some sort of bonus) in the last 4 months. The OIC gave me a jump start on what whoring was about. (Thanks also to Jek from Bonuswhores.com and whatsisname from Winningonlinepoker.com for great sites and for some kickbacks).

I love the game, but I hate the grind. I have tried SNGs to lower my variance and NL to increase my return. I keep jumping from limit, Odyssey (Thanks Jason) type plans, to SNG type plans (Thanks Stagemusic and Inthacup), to my own Odyssey NL plans, without much consistency , but with +EV results, without which (+EV) I really hate poker, or any other game for that matter.(I really hate to have a losing day, although I've had many).

At this point, having burnt out most of my bonus whoring venues, except for the monthly ones, I'm drunk, not playing, and looking for the best way to double, at minimal risk, a 6K bankroll.

All suggestions welcome.

I am currently considering:

1-LHE Odyssey type plan continuation.(I hate the grind and the variance).
2-SNG type plan to see how high I can get to. (Found some $1k buyin SNGS, so the upside is still high, currently at $5 buyin).
3-OMAHA 8 Odyssey type plan. (I was told this could be good, but to beware of Om8 collusion, and the game is not as popular as LHE).
4-My own brew NLHE-Odyssey-concoction.(Many good NL games with poor players abound online, much more than LHE). I feel I'm still a very-very-rookie at NL.
4-Enter the PAID multi-tourney scene with a high variance and high payoffs.

I'm taking a break till I can formulate a consistent-looking plan, and my blood alcohol level diminishes.

Please criticize.

astroglide
03-05-2004, 02:38 PM
try bigger limit games. one of two things will probably occur:

1: you'll get your ass handed to you and you'll begin to love the comparatively low variance and easy grind of the lower limit games

2: you'll make money and it will be more interesting

namknils
03-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Take a break, make a withdrawal, and spend some money on something big and nice. You've made a lot of money over the last four months, go treat yourself to a new computer or TV or whatever. Maybe this will show you how much you are actually making during "the grind" and it will become more fun.

Fitz
03-05-2004, 05:27 PM
I have just come off the best run of my poker life. During this run, I did some hit and runs at higher limits than I nomrally play. I'm a 3/6 or 5/10 player online, and I hit and ran a few times at 10/20 and 15/30; this prolonged my run, and it made me a lot of money. Finally, the pendulem swong back the other way, and I found myself stuck about $1500 from my high point after a couple of unsuccessful hit and runs at the higher limits. As I began to analyze my play, I realized, to beat this game, you have to sit and play well. It takes many many hours of play to insure we come out ahead. We can benefit from bonus whoring, and other things, but in the long run, you have to sit at a table for a long time and beat the game to come out ahead.

Just my opinion,

Good luck,

Fitz

Baulucky
03-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Thanks all. I guess I have to learn to play, then.

Frozen
03-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Don't laugh, but I think changing your substance of choice would change your drive to sit there and grind it out.

Alcohol is no good for poker. Get high on opiates instead.
Despite my ADHD, I can sit and grind for hours on hydrocodone or opium tea.

Baulucky
03-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I pass. I don't play when drunk, and don't drink too often either. I guess I'm a boring grinder...

I kind of decided to play NL for a while and see how it goes, but still have some unfinished clearing bonuses to do.

Senor Choppy
03-06-2004, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love poker. But I love money a lot more. I have made $6K through hustling, poker bonus whoring, BJ bonus whoring, and straight poker playing at low limits (always clearing some sort of bonus) in the last 4 months. The OIC gave me a jump start on what whoring was about. (Thanks also to Jek from Bonuswhores.com and whatsisname from Winningonlinepoker.com for great sites and for some kickbacks).

I love the game, but I hate the grind. I have tried SNGs to lower my variance and NL to increase my return. I keep jumping from limit, Odyssey (Thanks Jason) type plans, to SNG type plans (Thanks Stagemusic and Inthacup), to my own Odyssey NL plans, without much consistency , but with +EV results, without which (+EV) I really hate poker, or any other game for that matter.(I really hate to have a losing day, although I've had many).

At this point, having burnt out most of my bonus whoring venues, except for the monthly ones, I'm drunk, not playing, and looking for the best way to double, at minimal risk, a 6K bankroll.

All suggestions welcome.

I am currently considering:

1-LHE Odyssey type plan continuation.(I hate the grind and the variance).
2-SNG type plan to see how high I can get to. (Found some $1k buyin SNGS, so the upside is still high, currently at $5 buyin).
3-OMAHA 8 Odyssey type plan. (I was told this could be good, but to beware of Om8 collusion, and the game is not as popular as LHE).
4-My own brew NLHE-Odyssey-concoction.(Many good NL games with poor players abound online, much more than LHE). I feel I'm still a very-very-rookie at NL.
4-Enter the PAID multi-tourney scene with a high variance and high payoffs.

I'm taking a break till I can formulate a consistent-looking plan, and my blood alcohol level diminishes.

Please criticize.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is your only form of income and it's really that bad, maybe you should look for a normal job of some kind for a while. $1500/month can be done with a variety of strange work. You said you love the game/poker but also said without the $, you hated poker. Do what you love, or what you hate the least.

Or just take a break entirely. Burning yourself out and never playing again is worse than missing a few weeks of income.