PDA

View Full Version : What do I do?

thrillhouse
03-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I have been doing pretty well lately, and I have placed in the money 50% of my last 15 SNG's. My problem is that I keep getting 2nd and 3rd, and never 1st. I think maybe my problem is I get too aggressive, and I play too many hands, and take them too far.

Ok, so here is a hand I had recently when there was just 2 of us. I was the chip leader by a very small margin. I am very clueless on what to do on this hand. My instincts tell me I should have pushed in on the flop, but I didn't.
I want to win this tournament right now because I have not been playing well heads up, and I think this might be a good opportunity. I of course wimped out and folded on the turn. I ended up in 2nd place in the tournament. Any advice on this hand would be greatly appreciated.

Because I keep ending up in 2nd and 3rd place instead of first, I'll refer to myself as Sidekick.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed)

Sidekick (t4160)
BB (t3840)

Preflop: Sidekick is Button with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Sidekick calls t200, BB raises to t800, Sidekick calls t400.

Flop: (t1600) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB bets t400, Sidekick calls t400.

Turn: (t2400) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB bets t1200, Sidekick folds.

Final Pot: t3600

Crispyk
03-05-2004, 01:16 PM
I'm no expert for sure, but if it was me, i would have folded at the flop, best case scenario he's got Ax or a pair, your a 50/50 i'de wait for better odds to try and take him down.

La Brujita
03-05-2004, 03:26 PM
FWIW, when you get heads up there is often no correct or incorrect way to play a hand, feel comes in to play.

But, I would have played the same as you preflop and would have raised all in on the flop. Most of the time neither one of you is going to catch any part of the flop. If that is the case, then you have 14 outs with two cards to come. If he caught the three he will likely lay it down to the reraise.

Looking at it another way, if you are willing to play a hand like 9-8, the most likely good flop for you is going to be a draw. To me, it is a bit incongrous to be willing to play it pre flop with big blinds but not willing to play it strong when you get the flop you are hoping for.

I hope that makes sense.

Here is a bit of a trick I use to make me a better hu player and to keep sit and gos more interesting. When you are playing early in a tourney and get a trash hand, fold it and then (i) imagine how you would play it hu with big blinds and (ii) watch how often you will catch part of the flop. This will give you a decent idea of how often trash hands are improved and I think its a good exercise because hu with big blinds is the main time you will be playing trash hands.

Regards

thrillhouse
03-05-2004, 03:41 PM
That is great advice. Thanks a lot! I'll try to think like that from now on.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, when you get heads up there is often no correct or incorrect way to play a hand, feel comes in to play.

But, I would have played the same as you preflop and would have raised all in on the flop. Most of the time neither one of you is going to catch any part of the flop. If that is the case, then you have 14 outs with two cards to come. If he caught the three he will likely lay it down to the reraise.

Looking at it another way, if you are willing to play a hand like 9-8, the most likely good flop for you is going to be a draw. To me, it is a bit incongrous to be willing to play it pre flop with big blinds but not willing to play it strong when you get the flop you are hoping for.

I hope that makes sense.

Here is a bit of a trick I use to make me a better hu player and to keep sit and gos more interesting. When you are playing early in a tourney and get a trash hand, fold it and then (i) imagine how you would play it hu with big blinds and (ii) watch how often you will catch part of the flop. This will give you a decent idea of how often trash hands are improved and I think its a good exercise because hu with big blinds is the main time you will be playing trash hands.

Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

cferejohn
03-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Haven't looked at the other responses, but I'm raising this flop. You have an open-ender plus overcards. You are a favorite over overcards.

cferejohn
03-05-2004, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this overstates a little. I'd say that if you are the bettor, there are no two cards I'd critisize you for pushing. Calling an all-in with 23o on a board of 55ATJ is still bad, heads up or not. However, pushing all-in with this hand is ballsy, but I wouldn't call it bad if you think your opponent will fold often enough to make it worth it...

La Brujita
03-05-2004, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this overstates a little. I'd say that if you are the bettor, there are no two cards I'd critisize you for pushing. Calling an all-in with 23o on a board of 55ATJ is still bad, heads up or not. However, pushing all-in with this hand is ballsy, but I wouldn't call it bad if you think your opponent will fold often enough to make it worth it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely and wish to retract my statement. There is a correct and an incorrect way to play hu, and even more so hu with big blinds. I just meant to say (and said it very poorly) reading your opponent and instinct is important in a hu situation. Frankly with huge blinds it becomes more of a crap shoot.

crockpot
03-06-2004, 01:13 PM
i'll be honest with you, i don't see where you being too aggressive comes into play here. both preflop and on the flop, raising is a better play than calling, but you flat called and let him step in and take the pot on the turn.

there's nothing wrong with pushing in on the flop here, especially if you think you are going to get outplayed later on. the pot is now 2000 chips, a huge sum to take down uncontested. you are surely beaten now, but he won't call your all-in without a pair, and you have a good chance to draw out on him even if he does.

if you really think you're that bad at playing heads-up, you should utilize the power of the all-in. your opponent can't outplay you if he doesn't have anything left to bet. and once the blinds reach the level of 5% of the total chips in play, pushing in every hand is remarkably close to correct strategy assuming your opponent is waiting for a good hand to call you with.