PDA

View Full Version : Taking a drop in CA

sittingduck
03-05-2004, 04:35 AM
Would it be legal if we gave part of the drop to charity? After expenses?

Cubswin
03-05-2004, 06:22 AM
If you sell drugs for a living but give part of your "income" to charity is this legal? The answer to this question, and yours, is no.

You can check out california's gambling law here (http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/ngisc/reports/ca.pdf). If you come up with any other ideas and want to attempt to circumvent the law this is the place to look.

regards
cubs

Lottery Larry
03-05-2004, 10:10 AM
why is giving money to charity illegal?

LetsRock
03-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Taking a rake from a home game is illegal. I would imagine if you gave all of the money to charity you could get away with it (if the point of your home game is publicized to be a charity benefit event), but donating only part of a rake would probably not get you a get out of jail card.

ECondreras
03-06-2004, 04:52 PM
The rake in my home game is beer and snacks. Is that legal?

LetsRock
03-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Probably not technically. What I understand about the law( which is amittedly notmuch), you're better off asking for donations rather than to take it out of the pot.

The difference between "house take" (rake or cover charge) and "donation" is: house take is required, dontations are voluntary and I think this is where the line is drawn.

stephenk
03-08-2004, 10:55 AM
surely if you ASK people to bring beer and snacks (which they are then also free to enjoy) it is merely a donation and not forced? also, would you really knock back someone who plays regularly because he forgot to pick up some nachos? i doubt it - so not mandatory then.

arent we getting off topic ever so slightly?

LetsRock
03-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I interepretted his question as being "Is it legal if a take a drop to cover my cost for beer and snacks?".

I said technically, probably not.

If you're doing a BYO then no need to take a drop.

ECondreras
03-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Sorry for the confusion, guys. I was being a wisea$$! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But if someone does forget to bring the nachos, I send two thugs over to his place to bust up the joint...

-Ed-

ZeeJustin
03-14-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But if someone does forget to bring the nachos, I send two thugs over to his place to bust up the joint...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not legal. Do you see why?

spamuell
03-14-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] This is not legal. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you need to make him bring you the nachos before you smash up his house. And it's not close.