PDA

View Full Version : What is the next step

coollyc
03-04-2004, 05:16 PM
I have read on at least 3 seperate occasions TOP, HEP, HPFAP, Play poker like the pro's, (Hellmuth) Super systems (hold em & NLH), Inside the poker mind, Psychology of Poker, Tounament Poker for the Adv. player. I am not even close to an expert player, I just like to learn the concepts and see how they apply in real play. Obviously I have benefited greatly from this. However, how do you know when you are truly grasping all the concepts? I am not sure I understand the proper way to study these concepts and know w/out doubt I have learned them. Basically I am looking for a proper studying, and application technique if anyone has one. I constantly re-read parts of each book, whether I think I understand or not. I know % and odds very quickly. I would not consider myself a loosing player, although I have been playing daily for about 4 months 2-3hrs a day (on-line) and have only increased my bank buy $2,000.00. I am looking for a career change! So I am trying to make sure I will be ready when that time comes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

me454555
03-04-2004, 05:47 PM
Understand the "Why". Once you understand why these plays are made, you truly understand the concept and can apply it a real life game.

Lost Wages
03-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) you cannot become an expert simply by reading a bunch of books. It also requires a great deal of actual playing experience (years). Study, play, repeat. That is the road to success. Good luck.

Lost Wages

coollyc
03-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks, I have no doubt that is the best way to learn, I'm looking for (what else) mostly system to catalogue learning curve (obviously beyond money won and lost) any good systems for rating my play, or ideas how to learn what you did right or wrong, either through a book or just someones ideas how they learned. Another words, I've seen posts of people who create there own spred sheets, or I have heard of keeping a journal. Any suggestion on a means of practice. "Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect" see where I'm going with this!!!

Zele
03-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Important statistics:

Your win rate estimate ($won/hours played)
The standard error of this estimate (stdev per hour/sqrt(hours played))

It takes a really long time to get anything very meaningful, keeping in mind that your actual win rate could realistically be within 3 SE of your estimated one. So the way you judge your play in the short term should, somewhat tautologically, be based only on your own judgement of how you played, based on what you know good play to be.

In my mind, this frustrating fact is the hardest aspect of learning to play poker.

moondogg
03-07-2004, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for a career change!

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of books have a section of "so you want to be a pro", which warns of many of the challenges of going pro.
But if Psychology of Poker's "don't quit your day job" section didn't discourage you, I don't know what will. /images/graemlins/grin.gif