PDA

View Full Version : Are my calls with off-suit connectors correct?

MagicRat
03-04-2004, 04:53 PM
This seems to be one of those situations that I find myself in quite a bit in the Big Blind so was wondering if I'm playing this correctly.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Called since I had middle pair, back-door straight draw and no flush draw on the board. Thoughts?

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

6.50 BB in the pot to me and I think (and that may be a stretch!) I've got 6 outs (7s &amp; 9s). Correct play?

-----------------------

Also, would you call a hand like this pre-flop (no raises) if you're in the small blind??

-----------------------

Thanks! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lost Wages
03-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Your calls were too loose. On the flop, the pot is fairly small, your kicker coordinates with the board and your backdoor straight is of the one card variety. On the turn, you have about the odds you need to draw to a six outer but the same caveats apply. Even if you make a straight you may have to chop, or may loose to a bigger straight so your odds are not as good as they appear.

Lost Wages