PDA

View Full Version : weak aces in BB

sattre
03-04-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm curious over the notion of check-raising vs. betting a flop with a weak ace when you're in the BB. A few examples:

You're in the BB with A-7o. 2 loose EP players limp, the mild button limps, SB folds. Flop is: A-J-5 rainbow. Do you bet out or try to check raise? What if the button is aggressive? What if the EP players are tight? What if the original conditions are the same and there is two to a suit?

You're in the BB with A-2o. 1 loose passive MP player and 1 aggressive LP player limp. Flop is: A-9-8, 2 hearts (you have no hearts). Do you bet out or try to check raise the button? What if you have the A of hearts?

My general observation about the check-raise here is that on the one hand, there is no overcard that can hurt you. On the the other, you gain information against some players by betting. Against others, you could be in a situation where someone is trying to buy a free card or semi-bluff raises, etc. Thoughts?

DonWaade
03-04-2004, 04:53 PM
IMO you need to have info on the people you are playing against to make the determination of whether to bet or check raise, i.e. if you know someone will go fishing and make a position raise, then I would c/r. If palying against a passive board, than I would bet and try and buy it. Some people will say why? If you have A7o or a similar hand, you are not going to beat many people over the course of the rest of the hand and are unlikley to improve more. So, bet now and save money on the bigger streets. I am likely in the minority on this; but take it FWIW.

sattre
03-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Don. I know I don't have much of a solid foundation here - it's an awfully unspecific question, because so many different variables can come into play. In my original example, where it's loose EP limpers and an average button player (flop of A-J-5 rainbow), I think I would bet out. You can't count on the button betting. However, how important is it to trim the field if you are actually in front (especially in a relatively uncoordinated rainbow flop)? You would like to shut out the EP players, as they might have an inside straight draw or a pair. But, in general, there aren't many turn cards that can hurt you. An aggressive button makes a check-raise a more effective play, but may actually prevent you from making full value of your hand. This makes the situation all the more that difficult, in my opinion.

It extends further. In 2-suited flops, I'd be much more prone to betting in general, but if it is 2-suited, it's much more likely you'll face a free card raise or a semi-bluff raise.

I guess in a marginal situation like this, the key is to gain as much information as possible.