PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on clearing ur mind through different techniques

gushansen
03-04-2004, 04:35 PM
i was wondering how many of u successful poker players use certain techniques to not go on tilt such as meditating, yoga, tai chi, zen, or hypnosis i have tried a little self hypnosis and truly believed it helped a lot,
however when i run real bad i suffer from SEVERE TILT where i play anything suited and eventually bust out my roll for the day. I NEED TO STOP THIS because i am a winning player and have turned a good profit over 7 months playing 10-20 to 50-100, but i probably threw away about 20 g's from steam

i have heard that howard lederer practices zen and wanted to learn that, anyone here try anything i've mentioned??
if so, what were the results,

all u tilt free players, HOW DO U DO IT??? tilt is the biggest reason i am just a decent/good player and not great player in my opinion

smudgex68
03-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Have you tried ECT?

gushansen
03-04-2004, 06:13 PM
plz explain ty

smudgex68
03-04-2004, 06:21 PM
European Connectivity Theory, it's a bit hard to explain and on further thought I don't think it's really suitable for poker. Sorry /images/graemlins/blush.gif

OnlinePokerCoach
03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Have you read the book Zen and the Art of Poker? It is my favourite book to put you in the proper mindset for playing poker.

I have meditated before, but not especially for poker, since I am not as prone to tilt as you. I therefore cannot comment on its effectiveness for poker in particular.

Good luck!

TheGrifter
03-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Just a thought, but maybe you should choose a different name for your ID. Since several prominent experts/pros post here under their real name it could be confusing to some for you to post under that name.

Just my .02

joeg
03-07-2004, 06:53 AM
I have used self hypnosis and have found it to be very succesfull, I dont do it all the time allthough I probably should, I mainly use it when I am running bad and it definatly keeps me off tilt when I'm on a prolonged losing streak

Lunamondo
03-07-2004, 12:36 PM
As far as tilting goes, one needs to practise tolerating it. We get stronger at anything we practise. In this case it's the overall theory (the laws of memory, habits) of getting rid of anything or at least decreasing its effect.

What comes to clearing it's not that necessary I think, but as long as one's focus contains all what is needed, that's all that one needs, while that is also putting the unclear stuff to the background where they might then decrease all by themselves, or at least not effect significantly. With a clearer etc. mind one need not focus as much, making it easier to play, but that's mostly it, though after a point one's game will suffer and one starts making blunders when one misses something; then it's time to take a break or put still more effort into it.