PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard/mouse combo

greenage
03-04-2004, 03:13 PM
I just bought my first laptop and love it. I have it in my family room on a stand next to my easy chair. I like the setup except it makes it difficult to use the built-in keyboard and I don't like placing the laptop on my lap.

I'm currently using a corded USB mouse which works OK.

I have three USB ports on my laptop but no PS/2 ports. I've been looking at cordless keyboard/mouse combos but they all require at least one PS/2 port.

Does anyone know of a cordless keyboard and mouse combo that is all USB (does not require a PS/2 port)?

Thank you in advance.

astroglide
03-04-2004, 03:21 PM
logitech bluetooth

greenage
03-04-2004, 03:52 PM
I had ignored Bluetooth because of the cost, but that looks like the way to go. Thank you.

I'm curious how others have their laptops setup for use at home. For example, mine is on a TV tray next to my easy chair. LOL, not very stable, but I haven't found anything better yet. Anyone have a setup they really like?

Thank you

astroglide
03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
what do you have against putting the laptop on your lap? too hot? i would suggest avoiding ms wireless keyboard/mice combos, even the bluetooth ones.

greenage
03-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Yea, too hot and too heavy.

Oops, I was looking at the Microsoft Bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse combo because it costs less than Logitech. Why avoid Microsoft?

Thank you.

astroglide
03-04-2004, 04:09 PM
they are flaky. i know of 6 instances of offices using them and most have reported problems.

greenage
03-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Thank you astroglide,

I’ll save up my pennies for the Logitech. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again.

David
03-04-2004, 05:50 PM
I sit mine next to me on the couch. I only use mine on my lap when playing in a tourney and have to go sit on the..... never mind.

golgi11
03-04-2004, 06:34 PM
I just bought a gyration mouse and keyboard wireless combo. It's works great and it is all through one USB port. Highly recommended.

astroglide
03-04-2004, 06:40 PM
i think a gyration kit would be overkill for a laptop (presumably with a 15" screen)

Steven Punk
03-04-2004, 06:43 PM
A touch-screen with voice recognition would free up your hands to sip on bourbon and nurse a fine pipe session.

scotnt73
03-04-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just bought a gyration mouse and keyboard wireless combo. It's works great and it is all through one USB port. Highly recommended.

[/ QUOTE ]

does your arm get tired without your wrist supporting your hand with the GYRO mouse?

namknils
03-04-2004, 06:46 PM
I put mine on the coffee table in front of my couch. It can start to bother my back if I have to lean forward to type a lot, but usually I can just continue to play with my optical mouse on the couch next to me.

astroglide
03-04-2004, 06:46 PM
don't laugh! i'm looking into voice controls since i heard about function-keys working for actions. i just need to get reliable window switching by number (e.g. "4" will switch to the fourth open window).