PDA

View Full Version : WPT Borgata: Mistakes gallore

rbenuck4
03-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Did anyone else feel that once it got down to two players, that these two were making mistakes that someone in a 100 dollar tournament hsould not make, let alone a championship event? I forget who Carlos was playing heads up, but twice after Carlos announced a raise, the other guy immdeiately said "all in," before Carlos specified the amount of the raise. I understand that he's nervous, but come on! That's ridiculous! And then, the next hand they showed, Carlos got called for a string raise, which the other guy didn't call anyway. It just seemed like amateur night as far as the mechanics. Not to take anything away from Carlos, because I think he played some of those hands brilliantly, and put on some beautiful bluffs that were fun to watch. I'm curious what you guys thought.

daryn
03-04-2004, 02:27 PM
irony.

carlos was eliminated before it got down to heads up.

i think you're trying to refer to noli francisco (sp)

rbenuck4
03-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Whoops. I forgot that it was Noli and not Carlos who won the event. Sorry about that. Feel free to flame away. I set myself up for this one.

daryn
03-04-2004, 02:31 PM
no biggie, just thought i would jump on that easy joke /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Easy E
03-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Someone on wptfan claimed that at least one of the moves by Charlie was intentional- the first one- in order to slow down Noli if Charlie was actually beaten.

J.R.
03-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Charlie claimed the first all-in before Noli had finished betting was a bluff stopper (whether that's a dubious ex post facto rationalization for a bad play or not, I dunno), but Charlie said he raised to stop a big bluff bet on the show after the hand when chatting with Noli.

BTW, while I haven't played in many live tourneys, the tourneys I have played in have a rule that when you come forward with chips in your hand you must bet all those chips. This is similar to the rational behind barring string raises in that you might gauge a reaction from your opponent based on the number chips you have or don't have in your hand. So could Noli bring out a bunch of chips and only bet a portion of them in most major NL tourneys, or was the ruling a mistake or a Borgota specific rule?

Nick B.
03-04-2004, 03:06 PM
What if Noli had the nuts or near nuts, couldn't he have just said ok all in since Charlie would have had to call. It did work out for Charlie, but I think that might be the 1 in 1000 situation that it would work.

Easy E
03-04-2004, 04:21 PM
I think the rule is that you are forced to either just call (same as if you put an oversized chip in) or if no bet is out there you must put out the entire stack in your hand.

Anyone care to correct me?

slamdunkpro
03-04-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, while I haven't played in many live tourneys, the tourneys I have played in have a rule that when you come forward with chips in your hand you must bet all those chips. This is similar to the rational behind barring string raises in that you might gauge a reaction from your opponent based on the number chips you have or don't have in your hand. So could Noli bring out a bunch of chips and only bet a portion of them in most major NL tourneys, or was the ruling a mistake or a Borgota specific rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule is that you can't go back to your chips (string) but you are only obligated to bet what you actually lay down on the felt (or announce). (ie I want to raise 20,000 I grab a stack of 1,000's and start dropping stacks of 5 on the table - once I've dropped 20 chips I can return the excess to my stacks.

BTW I thought the Borgata floor ruling was poor. Noli had dropped more than 40k on the felt before Charlie jumped the gun. The dealer should not have let Noli pick up his bet before the floor got there.