PDA

View Full Version : QJs from the sb

Rico Suave
03-04-2004, 11:31 AM
This is pretty early in the session, so no stellar reads. MP1 seems decent and had not been raising much pf.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 bets, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, Button folds, Hero ????

What is my action on the flop? And, of course, I am interested in opinions on the pf call.

--Rico

anduril
03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
MP2 most likely has a better hand than you PF, and raises the flop again. with no read and a decent player betting I say you have to fold here. Even a semibluff raise with something like AK h than you are an underdog and if he has an overpair you are toast. I'd stay away from the gamble with no read

sthief09
03-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Before I say anything about preflop play, let me say that I probably underrate QJs as a hand. I often fold it when I should probably play it, but I just don't like it for some reason. If you are able to admit to yourself it is a drawing hand (and a damn good one), and play accordingly, it's a great hand to have, but sometimes I play too aggressively with it when I have top pair. So despite this, there are so many people in the pot, you really have to call it preflop.

Now on the flop, you presumably went for a check-raise, then it came back to you for 2 bets. I think I'd fold. There's no guarantee you're behind right now, but I think there's a good chance you are against an overpair, someone with a better kicker, a good draw, etc. So I'd fold, because even if you're ahead now it's going to be difficult to improve. If the board had a club on it, I'd say go ahead and call.

I think what it comes down is that you have no possible draw with a hand whose value lies mainly in its ability to flop great draws, making it a very weak hand for you, with very few outs, if any (against AJ and QQ you're drawing almost dead) to improve.

Trix
03-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Fold when its 2bets cold to you. You will be ahead here sometimes though, but there are many cards you dont want to see, so even if you are ahead, its not that bad a fold.

I think the preflop call is ok if you play with caution when you flop TP. It seems close, but these players seems to have potential of paying off /images/graemlins/smile.gif