PDA

View Full Version : AK, second round of the tournament

EnderW27
03-04-2004, 02:13 AM
I open up with AKo for 90 when the blinds are 15/30. Guy next to me calls, folded around to the SB who raises to 600. I know absolutely nothing about him.
Only two things come to mind:
1) That's a hell of a raise for the number of chips he's trying to win. I'm clearly beating any ace but a pair is just a coinflip.
2) I've only committed 90 to the pile. I can fold a really good hand, but without much loss, or I can double up early. Maybe even triple up if the third guy comes for the ride, though that seems doubtful.

What's your call?

SirArthur
03-04-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm a tight player, so I fold every time in this situation with no read on him. I'd say he's got J's, or Q's, maybe even A's, or K's. I wouldn't want to risk nearly half my stack on a coin flip.

Best to live another day and wait for another good hand, you'll get paid off if you hit the flop in most cases so your patience is typically rewarded.

Stoneii
03-04-2004, 08:57 AM
You can't imagine him coming waaayyy over the top of your raise at this stage with less than AK, so perhaps a call from you would be at best to split the pot.

Again though, things like level of buy-in, previous big raises by player, if it's a rebuy tournie etc etc all effect my decision

stoneii

Moonsugar
03-04-2004, 09:52 AM
For me it would depend on which site.

If this was at party this is my strategy: While I am all for caution and chip conservation my strategy in early rounds is to play ultra tight but if I can I like to get all my chips in with AA, KK or AK. The reason is with AA you are a nice favorite and KK and AK you are only a big dog to 1 or 2 hands AND if I can get a big stack early then I think I have a better than my 'fair' share of prize equity. SNGs are very replacable so if a decision requires all my chips I will try to evaluate a win of the hand's effect on my chances to make the money, not just my chances to win the hand. And if I lose I can always just start another tourney right away. Time is also a factor in this and at party SNGs are almost instantly replacable while at stars they are not.

At stars: I would fold because I don't think getting a ton of chips early has near the increase in my prize equity as it does at party and sometimes I have to wait a long time to replace a SNG.

Would love to hear if anyone else approaches the problem like this. And if I am wrong to play like this to clearly point out why.

EnderW27
03-04-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the advice thus far.

It was a $50 buy-in at Empire, if that affects anyone's decision.

I ended up reraising him all-in, which, in retrospect, was a mistake. It was only an additional 300 and of course he's going to call as he's committed 2/3 of his stack already.
Turns out it wouldn't have made a difference as the king hit on the flop and all my chips would have gone flying into the center, but you really can't play results oriented like that. The fact is that I could have to catch up and can save my chips if I don't like the flop.

Anyway, he called, other guy folded, and we ran through the cards.
Turns out he ALSO had AKo. Guess what? We didn't split the pot. Four clubs had hit by the river and I was out. Bad luck.
I still don't like my re-raise pre-flop but I can't decide if I made the right decision to even call him.