PDA

View Full Version : WPT Borgata notes- SPOILERS

Easy E
03-04-2004, 12:20 AM
WPT Borgata show- Welcome back, guys! Welcome back WPT! I missed most of the Season 2 warm-up tournament repeats (Ladies tourney, Paul Phillips at the Bicycle)

The following is stream-of-consciousness, trying to guess actions and reactions.
----

I finally recognize a dealer!!!

I was really surprised by how quickly Carlos called with T8 on the 4385 board after David O raised the flop and bet the turn. I REALLY didn’t expect Carlos to call the $120K when the 5 paired on the river- seemed like too big to be anything but a steal? He put David on a lower pair or an 8-weak kicker?

I’m with you Vince- is there something special about 72off for this tournament? TWO hands raised with it?

David and Carlos sure seem to be the focus of the first series of hands. They certainly are going after one another- do they play together a lot, or did we miss a lot of history from earlier in the tournament?
WHY show the J9 to David? Is he trying to set him up, or the rest of the table?

Ah, I see Carlos and David were at the same table earlier in the tournament- that make explain all of the moves and psychological ploys?

Charlie looks like the actor who played the billionaire in the Jodie Foster movie

Noli pops David O with the under pair of fours on the 8849, 2-heart turn…because of the other hands with Carlos? If the 8h comes, will David call? Noli bets out on the 5? Interesting…

Too small a bet by David with KQh on 2c3hQc, betting only $60K? Carlos goes all-in with A4 when the Ace comes- heck of a move! Will the fourth heart suck David in? .. I think he dumps, “knowing” Carlos isn’t making a move for that many chips…… no, he CALLS!! Wow! See that ‘you lucky SOB!!’ look on David’s face before the break? What a catch with the King!!!!! David “deserved’ it? Will Carlos go on tilt here?

And THEN David gets Aces over Mickey’s Jacks!!! Good fold by Charlie with the 99, or not? I didn’t see his stack compared to the $90k cost. Nice fold, Mickey- I see David doesn’t show the hand- good choice! Mickey is going to be happy to see this WPT broadcast and know he was right.

David going to call Charlie’s raise with Ac6c? Charlie bets the flop with his middle pair, David just calls with the nut flush draw. Turn Qc9c7s8d, Charlie calls with T9d. Trips for Charlie, David’s done… he won’t bluff here. How much, Charlie? WHAT, he CHECKS????? He can’t think it was a 100% chance that David wouldn’t call ANY bet unless David beat him?
Was that too tight by Charlie, or a smart play?

What was the point of Noli’s ‘you’re not going to like it” as he plans on calling with 64 against Mickey’s all-in with Aces? Pretty ironic comment…. But what did he hope to gain from an all-in player?? Wouldn’t Noli probably call even IF he knew that Mickey had Aces?

They trying to be clever with that little crossword puzzle graphic?

Vince, Mickey didn’t “make Aces work for him”- his puny STACK made his Aces able to double through!

Check the trip Jacks, Randy! You’re first! NO, not all in with 3 other players!!!! Especially after checking your hand again?? Have to agree with Mike S about the amateur move! Another double-digit buy-in Internet buy-in, eh?? Why don’t I think that we have another Chris Moneymaker here?

Randy, calling with AJs ?? Please tell me you were trying to trap!! Carlos with AToff…. Carlos not going to check-raise the A65h rainbow flop? Randy looks too confident sitting there- dump the hand, Carlos! He calls????? Randy goes all in on the 9h turn…. Carlos can’t call here. Did Carlos call for time? He must really hate to dump Aces…. He CALLS??? Still on tilt, and GETS DAMN LUCKY with that Ten!
Guess Carlos was owed one, but Randy blew it earlier with the trip Jacks. If Randy has a bigger stack, Carlos might not be in there to catch the Ten.

David all in with AJ over Noli’s raise.. and Noli calls so quickly and then ANOTHER “you’re in trouble” comment- is Noli trying to get the poker gods to give him some luck?

They played the first few days in the regular poker room? They must have shut down the room for regular games! Was anyone there to confirm this?

AJ surely is a popular hand to be aggressive with at this final table. Noli goes all-in with 99 that quickly over Carlos’ reraise….. Carlos can’t call here, can he? Noli is too big a stack! Smooth needle by David, trying to knock out one of the bigger stacks with no risk to himself!!!
Noli trying to talk Carlos into calling?? If so, THAT wasn’t the smartest move…. Or was he representing a big pair with his chatter?
Did Noli show the hand at the end after Carlos dumped?

Carlos is going to raise on the button with T3…. nope. How many pairs of Aces can we get dealt? Who installed the action flop software for the Borgata Online Championship?? Anyone thing Charlie should have made some small bet on the 442 flop? Would he have been more likely to have been called on the turn, with a shorter stack, with his all-in then? And do you WANT a call by the chip leader here, when you have Aces? I assume you would.

Mickey was going to call no matter WHAT Noli was doing, since Noli only called from the SB preflop. MICKEY- you HAVE to go all-in on the river with your bluff when the King comes! Does anyone think Noli calls with Q-high if Mickey goes all-in on the King? He bet the turn…

Noli gets 99 again? Don’t know if I like Mickey’s call with 33 here, but how many hands can he wait for? I REALLY don’t like Mickey’s bet into the 957 flop…. You can’t call Noli’s raise… he DOES and goes all-in???? He must have thought it was overcards- or he’s an idiot. Was he “stack-stuck” (meaning his remaining stack was too small for him to feel he had any chance in the tournament regardless, so calling here to catch a bluff might be a no-brainer?)

Why do I get the impression Charlie has decided to fold his way into a higher place, letting the aggressive big stacks slaughter one another?

Noli goes all-in on 77AK with J8c and Carlos dumps his Kings… and Noli shows? Does Noli really think the hands will fall in a manner that he can trap someone later?? Or does this kind of mind-game always go on at final tournament tables??

If I was sitting in the audience and they kept throwing those slotted spotlights in my face, I’d throw a tumbler through one of them.

I was wrong about Charlie waiting out the aggressive players- I guess KJoff was too strong, or he put Carlos on a pure steal- which the T-high hand was. Is Carlos not getting lucky enough at this final table to overcome his stack size, giving himself a chance to win it all? Wow, I guess not- he only has $142k when we come back from commercial break?

Vince- “AJ- what’s he (Noli) going to do with it?” VVP, haven’t you been paying attention? AJoff is a MANDATORY RAISE at this table! They must have signed a document requiring it before the tournament.
What does everyone think about Carlos’ call with the 66? I think with his stack size and the pot already in there, I think it was probably a good play. I was right about his luck- out he goes!

Charlie! 72off is an open-raise hand at this table! Don’t dump it! David goes all-in with Presto! Nice job, David! Let’s see if the gods reward you for playing Presto! properly… I have a bad feeling that, given the show’s time 10:45, that he’s doomed……and there’s the Queen flop, three clubs…. How can the poker gods be so CRUEL?? Where is the Presto magic??? Why am I still babbling?

Charlie DID sneak into the end, outlasting the aggressive stacks! Don’t know if he played well, strategized well or was just lucky…..

Please, no 10:58 rule!! I can’t see Charlie zooming back to win this, unless he gets a lot of nice solid hands….. or he changes his play against Noli and gets lucky also. Don’t make it obvious when Charlie is going out!! Charlie HAS to change his play, since he has to double through twice in order to get back into this game.

Noli going to stab at this Ace? And Charlie says call before Noli is done betting? THAT was stupid! Here’s our first WPT controversy! Charlie feels stupid! I wonder how much Noli was planning on betting? That couldn’t have been a really smooth move by Charlie to get Noli to only put in a few chips, in case Noli WASN’T bluffing???

Charlie jumps the gun verbally AGAIN? At least the all-in was less of a problem…. Would Noli potentially have folded if given the chance?

Noli raises his Kings, and string bets? And Charlie dumps??

Dammit, it’s 10:56…. Unless we see two quick double-throughs, this tournament is over already. Noli K5, Charlie 96, flop 764- here comes a winner for Noli…. Yep, King turn and the straight draw… and Charlie bets into him, Noli raises and Charlie goes all-in with sixes. Game OVER! Damn 10:58 rule, drains all of the drama out of this!

I cannot read Charlie’s reaction after that loss. Nice payday, working his way up with a small stack to start the final table.

slamdunkpro
03-04-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Especially after checking your hand again?? Have to agree with Mike S about the amateur move!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same move that Mike Sexton called "smooth" and "calculating" when Carlos kept checking his hand later.

[ QUOTE ]
They played the first few days in the regular poker room? They must have shut down the room for regular games! Was anyone there to confirm this?

[/ QUOTE ]

They only used 24 tables- Everything in the High Limit room and some of the tables behind the podium were open.

[ QUOTE ]
He can’t think it was a 100% chance that David wouldn’t call ANY bet unless David beat him?
Was that too tight by Charlie, or a smart play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart Play with an open end straight on the board. David had been pulling cards out of his A** all weekend.

TJSWAN
03-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Easy E.

I had to do a double take and check the clock on my VCR, but it only took V.V.P. 9 minutes to roll out his " showtunes going off in his head " line. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think we need an over/under number for the season on that one. Say 33 ?? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tim

Easy E
03-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Damn, I missed that! Or I've gotten so used to VVP comments that they're becoming background noise and not even registering...

Oh well, the show's better when I'm paying attention to the play rather than the announcers.

I think the over/under will be more like 1 1/2x a show- so in the 20's?