PDA

View Full Version : that WPT episode is the funniest thing I have ever seen!

SaintAces
03-04-2004, 12:01 AM
maybe Noli's raises weren't so gutsy after all - did he even know what he had?

Uppercut
03-04-2004, 12:20 AM
That old fart who finished second acted as if he had never played headsup before. He kept announcing his action before Noli could announce how much he was betting. I could see him doing it once out of nerves, but then he did it again on the very next hand! And what was with going all in with his pair of 6s when a King hit on the turn and he was bet into? Is that really where you want to make your stand? Quite the strange finish. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

SaintAces
03-04-2004, 12:22 AM
knowing that Noli sucks, I wait for a big pair or AX (higher than J) to make my move

The Bear
03-04-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That old fart who finished second acted as if he had never played headsup before. He kept announcing his action before Noli could announce how much he was betting. I could see him doing it once out of nerves, but then he did it again on the very next hand! And what was with going all in with his pair of 6s when a King hit on the turn and he was bet into? Is that really where you want to make your stand? Quite the strange finish. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That "old fart" was Charlie Shoten, and he's a very accomplished tourney player, especially in the past year or so. So be careful who you insult. Though I do agree that it was bizarre that he acted out of turn multiple times. To me, it looked like he was tired and frustrated. For all we know, that heads-up match could have lasted hours.

As for the last hand, it's impossible to judge whether it was a "good" or "bad" play without knowing the dynamic of their matchup. There are a million things that could come in to play that, because of editing, we were never able to see. I suspect you will see some equallly strange plays in the Foxwoods tourney next week (I was there watching, and it won't make for good television without substantial creative editing).

slamdunkpro
03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To me, it looked like he was tired and frustrated. For all we know, that heads-up match could have lasted hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fatigue certainly played a part. This event started at Noon on Saturday; we finished up about 9:30 Saturday night, then started again at Noon on Sunday. The final six weren’t determined until about 3:30 Monday Morning. The final table started at 6:00pm on Monday and they didn’t finish until almost 4am

Rushmore
03-04-2004, 12:04 PM
You're right that he is worthy of more respect than the poster gave him.

But what the hell was he doing?

Not that much time could have elapsed, because the blinds were essentially the same throughout. That shoots that theory all to hell.

He played poorly when it got headsup. Simple. He dropped the ball, choked, whatever. It was ugly.

It was like the episode they aired right before it--I don't care how good a player "Dot Com" is, he made a terrible call on the end.

Let's--ahem--call a spade a spade.

Rushmore
03-04-2004, 12:05 PM
General fatigue, OK.

But the headsup action was not some grueling marathon, as I thought was implied.

slamdunkpro
03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
I think they were heads up for about 2 hours.

Sloats
03-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Anyone know when this is going to be rebroadcasted? I missed a good chunk of it watching the "World Series of Dice 2004".

brian0729
03-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I to was caught up in the dice as well. Watching Grits and Gravy throw those snake eyes was a heartbreak and then Quill had to come and ruin it for everybody.

Homer
03-04-2004, 12:37 PM
World Series of Dice? Are you for real? If so, what channel was this on?

Festus22
03-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Saturday 6 PM. The Wednesday show always re-airs at that time.

daryn
03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
oh my god that was so good.. that one dude goes "all in" hahaha...

daryn
03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
it was on chappelle show on comedy central last night. basically dave chappelle commented on how he had been seeing all this world series of poker on espn, so then he mentioned they even had a world series of dice.

they cut to two white announcers in a basement, cardboard on the floor, bunch of black dudes hovered around, cash everywhere..

very funny

Rushmore
03-04-2004, 02:01 PM
...that sounds so, so, well....RACIST!!!

I think we should boycott/burn down Comedy Central, because I am offended by Mr. Chapelle's portrayal of Caucasians (who, I might add, have a long and proud history of blah blah and a tradition of yadda yadda and do not deserve to be etc etc.).

I'd say that show is about the funniest thing on television right now (now that "TV Funhouse" is no longer on).

Mike Gallo
03-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Dude,

You guys logged a lot of poker in a short time. I watched Monday nights conclusion and left around 11:00. At that time it looked like it would last until Tuesday easily.

I think a lot of people also forgot that guys like Daniel Negreaunu, Phil Hellmuth, Eric Seidel et al had played the previous three days in the Taj's 10,000 event. The Taj's event ended the same day that the Borgata's tournament started.

scotnt73
03-04-2004, 03:51 PM
i agree chapelles show is one of the few shows i watch every week now. funny,funny,stuff

slamdunkpro
03-04-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people also forgot that guys like Daniel Negreaunu, Phil Hellmuth, Eric Seidel et al had played the previous three days in the Taj's 10,000 event. The Taj's event ended the same day that the Borgata's tournament started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Three days!! I was there all week in the single buy events. It was so tight that if you made the Taj final day you could not play the Friday night $500 NLHE at the Borg.

In fact Phil Hellmuth DID NOT play the Borg event because of the Taj event.