PDA

View Full Version : Big game/small game

William
03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Things have been very quiet in the forum this last week (at least I think so).
There has not been a major subject to discuss, the same questions keep comming back; play on the bubble, was my AK all-in correct?, TT UTG and so on. Water under the bridge.

Personally I have been away from online poker most of the past two weeks. I have found this very nice place in Sweden (an hour drive for me) where they mostly play Pot Limit Omaha 3 days a week during the weekend.

It's a big game, no pot is under 1000$ and after a couple of hours, practically every pot is between 3000 and 10000$. I don't usually play that big, but I was told the game was so good, and omaha high being my best game, I decided to give it a try. It was like a dream come true. 90% of the players have no idea of what they are doing, play any 4 cards and seem to have very deep pockets.
Needless to say, that when you are suddenly making in 3 days 3 times what you used to make in a whole week online, Stars, Party and the like seem less atractive.

I have played a little during the first days of the week, have tried some Limit HE 10/20, played the expensive NLHE ring games, both with large variations (I guess I need to adjust to the new players style) but the heart was not really in there.

I remember, 15 months ago, when I started playing online, my live results went also down the drain. I think it is because when you found a game that is more interesting, it's difficult to concentrate on the less atractives. Playing games at different stakes is also a disturbing factor; difficult to take seriously a game when the best you can hope for the whole session is winning 1/3 of what one single pot would make you in another game.
I have been lucky enough to win every day in the big game so far, so it won't hurt that much when the losing session shows it's ugly face, but I wonder if I will be able to concentrate again on my online game.

Something else that I have noticed is that there is no 78% rule in live games /images/graemlins/grin.gif There is no escape for the fish.

Perhaps some of you have experienced something similar, live/online game disturbances, big/small game adaption problems?

Anyway, tomorrow is thursday. Omaha time /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Deal me in /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Take care,
William

PS. I know this is O/T in this forum , but as I have most of my online friends in here, I thought...

La Brujita
03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
I was wondering where the heck you had gone. This may be a dumb question but is there a bride across the water or do you have to catch a ferry?

Also, you already know this but make sure you have a sufficient bankroll to survive the swings.

Best of luck in the big games.

Regards

William
03-03-2004, 08:11 PM
There is a bridge.
And thx /images/graemlins/smile.gif