PDA

View Full Version : The importance of being suited. Poker Tracker

RainDog
03-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Recently, I've been playing a lot of lower limit on Party (actually Empire) ever since they started allowing 4 tables. I actually stepped down to .50/1 initially to ensure I could handle the higher amount of action, but I'm now comfortably gravitating between 2/4 and 3/6. I prefer playing multiple low limit tables as opposed to 1 or 2 high limit tables because I typically do better. I don't believe a 15/30 game on Party is all that tough, but I do believe I make worse decisions when the pots get larger. The desperate gambler inside me finds a way out and until I can conquer that part of my psyche, I'll remain where I am.

The dilemma I have is that I'm not sure if I'm playing a lot of my suited connectors, Axs, Kxs and even Qxs correctly. My Poker Tracker Vol. Put money in the pot has skyrocketed in the last 10,000 hands to 26.31. This seems very high compared to stats suggested by MS Sunshine. I'm not loosing money on these hands, but I do wonder if I'm playing them too frequently and not making as much as I could. The condition of these games are such that hands like AQo get murdered due to the amount of players that sit around waiting to hit their straights or flushes. So I've started disregarding a lot of position rules when it comes to suited cards (particularly connectors). I'll easily limp in with A2s or even 45s under the gun, knowing that even if I get raised there will be enough callers to justify me being in there. I get out of most pots on the flop (not calling my A2s when I only hit the Ace and get no cards of my suit), but the pots I do take are quite nice. In late position I'll go as far as playing Q4s or 96s if I see 5 or 6 players in before me (not including the blinds). My strategy shift seems to be working out for now, but I'm going to have to see a lot more hands before I get comfortable playing as loosely as I have been preflop. Though I can't really say I'm playing too loose as I'll often fold KJo and similar hands in late position. Things actually haven't been extreme at 2/4. I believe mostly the 50/1.00 and 1/2 tables skewed my Poker tracker stats. But even at 2/4, I often find tables fit this playing style. Just want to here some of your opinions on the importance of being suited and table positionn.

RainDog
03-03-2004, 06:56 PM
I will sometimes keep playing one of my tables if it goes shorthanded (even 2-3 players) and the others stay full. Obviously I'd be playing a lot more hands in these situations and that could have offset my Vol. Put $ in the pot as well. But the number should still be fairly representative of my full table play.

MS Sunshine
03-03-2004, 07:43 PM
"So I've started disregarding a lot of position rules when it comes to suited cards (particularly connectors). I'll easily limp in with A2s or even 45s under the gun, knowing that even if I get raised there will be enough callers to justify me being in there. I get out of most pots on the flop (not calling my A2s when I only hit the Ace and get no cards of my suit), but the pots I do take are quite nice."

I realize a good case can be made that there are games with enough passive callers to make these hands +EV UTG. Any preflop raising makes these hands very -EV combined with the trouble of playing upfront in a large field with any good, but not great, flop for this kind of hand.

MS Sunshine

NLfool
03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
now I've been known to be a very tight player. I don't play KQ or AJ unless I'm in LP and never up front or MP as these are hands that break you in NL. But I'm inclined to agree with you in regards to suited cards. I never even really liked play J10s as I still believe that is mostly a suckers hand.

But with close to 1.5 years of playing online I've hit too many runner runner flushes I play almost any suited connector limping in or for a small raise. 1 caveat is that as your stack gets bigger 150+ BB I would avoid playing lower flush cards.

Styles
03-03-2004, 08:15 PM
I think you are right to a degree but 45s takes it too far.

While you have the suitedness and connectedness, Mason talks about this he says sometimes you will also make pairs and you want them to be med/high UTG.

I can't remember where it is exactly. I'll try to find it.

Senor Choppy
03-03-2004, 11:21 PM
A2s and the medium suited connectors are barely good enough on the button (axs does better with less callers despite what most people would tell you, suited connectors usually require 3 people minimum). If the pot is raised, you'll almost never have proper odds to call with these. I would be willing to bet that under no real life conditions would a2s or 54s ever be good enough to call UTG. Pocket pairs on the other hand are an entirely different matter.

34TheTruth34
03-04-2004, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A2s and the medium suited connectors are barely good enough on the button

[/ QUOTE ]

are we still talking about the .50/1.00 Party games?? If you're not limping in UTG with suited aces in this game, then you don't deserve to play poker ever again. Even for play money.