PDA

View Full Version : Andy Van Slyke: Bonds "Unequivocally" took steroids

B-Man
03-03-2004, 11:50 AM
This story is not going to die or fade away. Bud Selig's gag-order is an absolute joke--his attitude is, when you've got a problem, instead of dealing with it, try to sweep it under the rug! The fans and the media aren't going to let this story die, and eventually the players that are clean are going to demand a legitimate testing program to protect their own reputations.

Baseball has a major problem on their hands. This is going to be a story all season, and perhaps longer.

==========================================
The Sporting News
Mar. 3, 2004 1:37 a.m.
In an interview with Sporting News Radio's Rick Ballou, former major-league outfielder Andy Van Slyke said that Barry Bonds "unequivocally" took steroids.
Van Slyke, who was a teammate of Bonds' in Pittsburgh, shared his thoughts on the steroid controversy and Bonds' alleged use of performance enhancing drugs.

Following is a transcription from the interview ...

Ballou: How difficult will this season be for Barry Bonds?

Van Slyke: I think it is going to be very difficult. Even before Barry was taking steroids, or allegedly was taking steroids when I played with him, I weighed more than him and yet he was still a tremendous player. He still had good power and he was an MVP.

The physical facts are the physical facts and when you're thirty-six, seven, and eight years old is not when you peak with your home run production. You're supposed to do that when you're twenty-six, seven and twenty-eight years old. Not only that, you're not supposed to smash the home run record or smash your own personal record at that age.

If it's coming, I think it's probably due, just like anything else in Barry Bond's past. If it's bad press, it's usually his responsibility.

Ballou: Are you telling us, in your opinion, that it looks like Barry Bonds has taken steroids?

Van Slyke: Unequivocally he's taken them, without equivocation he's taken them. I can say that with utmost certainty.

Now, I never saw him put it into his body, but look, Barry went to the bank with the robber, he drove the car, he got money in his pocket from the bag that came out of the bank. Come to your own conclusion. Did he spend the money?

You decide. I think he did.

The physical evidence is there. People do not gain thirty-five pounds of muscle in their late thirties without a little bit of help.

Ballou: Have you thought about the fact that some players, some sluggers, look thinner this year in spring training?

Van Slyke: Of course I've thought about it. There's no question. The skewed thing about this steroid issue is you have to remember first of all that six to seven percent of the players got caught.

THG, the new synthetic steroid, was not part of that test because they didn't have any idea where to look for it; they didn't know what they were looking for. Human Growth Hormone was not part of that test. If you were caught the first time, you had a chance to take it a second time. Then, the first time, if you were caught, it was not part of the final results of the test, so the numbers could be astronomical, as far as I'm concerned.

You have to be a complete idiot to test positive but at the same time the players knew there wasn't any penalty phase, even if they were caught.

So, I would really have to believe the number, conservatively speaking, is at least double that. Having said that, that means there has to be at least four players on every team in the major leagues on steroids. That's a lot of players.

When you look at the physiques of some of these players around the league, you can understand why people are very concerned about the integrity of the game and why Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi, and previously Mark McGwire ... these guys are looked at like, 'Hey, if the evidence is in front of my face, I have to point my finger somewhere and if the numbers say there's two to four players on every team, then your physique tells me that you're the guy.'

The facts are the facts. Seven percent, conservatively speaking, maybe twenty percent have taken steroids at the big league level.

Someone's taking them (steroids). It isn't Bo Hart. It isn't Randy Johnson. Let your eyes see for themselves.

If the evidence points to a certain player, then that's just the way it is. The physical evidence with Barry (Bonds) is right in front of our eyes.

I don't think we need to apologize for the fact if we think a certain player has taken them or not.

andyfox
03-03-2004, 12:47 PM
I think your point in the other thread, that the cumulative weight of the evidence points to guilt on the part of Bonds, Giambi, and Sheffield (as well as others) is persuasive. The lawyers statements that they didn't "knowingly" take them, and Bonds' and Sheffield's anger and surliness over being bothered with this issue ("get out of my locker") strike me as, there's only one word for it, bullshit.

B-Man
03-03-2004, 12:55 PM
As usual, we agree on all things baseball.

Something interesting I thought of from the Red Sox' perspective this morning--Giambi hit two home runs off Pedro in Game 7. If Giambi was using steroids at that time (and it clearly looks like he was), would he have hit those home runs without the steroids? Would Grady Little have gotten a chance to make the worst managerial blunder in Red Sox history? Grady's bonehead non-move will always be what I remember most from last season... but maybe it shouldn't have come to that. I suppose we'll never know.

I'll be very interested to see what Giambi's stats are this season. I was half-joking when I mentioned 19 home runs, but I certainly don't think he'll hit 40 if he stays clean (which he now appears to be, based on his weight loss).

Uston
03-03-2004, 05:49 PM
the worst managerial blunder in Red Sox history

No way. Denny Galehouse, 1948. Grady Little couldn't top that even with Butch Hobson as a bench coach.

Taxman
03-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Well, I do have to admit that the circumstantial evidence is becoming more compelling. If it does turn out to be true then I am disappointed because if anyone did not need steroids, it was Bonds. As he's aged, his eye and discipline at the plate have only improved. Assuming he did take steroids, he may not have hit 73 without them, but he probably still could be terrorizing the league as only he can. I suppose you must put an obligatory asterix next to some of his records if the allegations are true, which is a shame because his legacy would have stood with the top few players of all time anyway.

B-Man
03-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Agreed. As I've said before (quoting Rob Neyer), for the 8 years prior to 2001, Bonds was merely the best player in baseball. He didn't need steroids to be considered one of the all-time greats, or to make the Hall of Fame. Now his legacy will always be tainted, and people are always going to wonder about the numbers which were posted the last few years (as well they should). It's a black mark on the entire sport, not just Barry Bonds and the others who were/will be caught.

WillMagic
03-04-2004, 02:50 AM
I've been a lifelong Giants fan, and I acknowledge how compelling the circumstantial evidence is. I'm going to wait until all the facts are in before I make my final judgement, but I'm prepared to be disappointed in the man who I've enjoyed watching so much for the past 10 years.

But the thing is, B-Man, whatever Andy Van Slyke or Turk Wendell says is not compelling evidence or even worthy of discussion. They have no more evidence than the posters on this board, and yet they can't resist sounding off. And it sounds to me, honestly, that you have had a thing for Bonds for some time. Maybe you are a Dodger fan, I don't know.

But in the end, some of the most pleasant memories I have are at Pac Bell Park, screaming out in joy after Barry hit another walk-off. Even if he did use steroids, the man did some amazing things over his career, and while we ostracize him here, I feel it's important to acknowledge that.

Anyway, I'm out.

Will

B-Man
03-04-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm a Red Sox fan. I have no bias against the Giants.

I don't like Bonds. I never have--he's an arrogant jerk. But there are a lot of players I don't like, and that doesn't stop me from acknowledging how great they are. I probably hate Roger Clemens more than I've hated any baseball player, but I think a strong argument can be made that he's had the greatest career of any modern pitcher (Pedro has been better over a much shorter time period, but its highly unlikely he'll match Clemens' longevity).

I agree Van Slyke's comments do not make the evidence more compelling, but it's not like he is coming up with some weird theory. Everything he is saying has already been said, but I think it adds some weight than an ex-player and ex-teammate of Bonds is saying these things.

Bonds is a great player, but there is overwhelming evidence that he is cheater, and for that he should be punished. Baseball should address all of the records he set, either with an asterisk or an eraser.

Ray Zee
03-04-2004, 12:08 PM
they need to wipe out the use of it or legalize it. otherwise all they are doing is rewarding those that use them with high salaries based on performance.
why watch sports these days to see chemically enhanced players perform. i would rahhter go see the terminator again.