PDA

View Full Version : hand between me and a buddy

goofball
03-03-2004, 04:05 AM
we know each others games very hand. but the hand provoked quite a bit of discussion between us. comments on all plays encouraged

Party Poker 5/10 Hold 'Em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, buddy callsin the big blind.

Flop: (4.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets, buddy raises, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
buddy bets, Hero calls.

River: (6.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
buddy checks, Hero bets, buddy calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

Huskiez
03-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Looks good to me. I was thinking about mentioning a semi-bluff raise on the turn, but he might reraise given his check raise on the flop. Therefore, just call on the turn, like you did. You played it exactly how I would.

I am guessing he had top pair on flop, good kicker (maybe two pair by end).

goofball
03-03-2004, 04:19 AM
right. he had JTs. no flush draw relevant.

MrBlini
03-03-2004, 04:22 AM
I like your flop bet. The play that is most questionable is your flop call. Even with the backdoor nut flush draw, I don't think you quite have the pot odds to make this call. You have seven outs including one for the backdoor flush draw, so you'd need 6:1 to call, but some of your outs may not be clean. If your buddy is prone to losing extra bets when you make your hand, however, I think you can make it. Against most players, I would make this call. I'd hesistate against a solid, straightforward player.

It appears that your buddy is a cautious player, in which case maybe it's best to dump this to the check-raise. That's especially true if he plays too tight in the blinds, increasing the probability that some outs aren't clean.

He would have destroyed your pot odds had he bet out on the flop.

sthief09
03-03-2004, 05:25 AM
I think the flop call was good. I doubt he'd call QTo in the BB, so you have at least 3 clean outs plus your backdoor draw. When I read it I thought he flopped a straight draw and was trying to semi-bluff your off your unpaired high cards. So I definitely think heads up calling the flop is the right thing to do.