PDA

View Full Version : Please explain the "free showdown" concept

TwoNiner
03-03-2004, 03:01 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted a quick reinforcement on my thinking ofthe strategy of raising the turn in position (usually heads up) to get a "free showdown" as it is referred to. Now am I correct in thiking that the sole benefit of this play is the possibility of your at least somewhat sophisticated opponent being able to lay down a better hand to your turn raise? I mean, there really is no other price benefit to a "free showdown" if you pay twice on the turn is there?

Thanks

Nottom
03-03-2004, 03:51 AM
In order for the play to be effective, you have to have some chance to be ahead and usually some way to improve although thats not needed (otherwise it might just be a semi-bluff). Normally you see this play when there is an obvious draw on the board and you are trying to defend against a semibluff.

Example (prolly not the best):
You have Q Q

Flop is T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 : /images/graemlins/heart.gif:
Some guy bets and you raise him.

Turn is A /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Now he bets again. This might be a good time to raise with the intention of checking behind if you don't improve since a lot of people will bet a hand like J /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif here as a semibluff and you want to charge them the most to draw.

cepstrum
03-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi TwoNiner -

The benefit is that when you are already beaten and fail to improve, you have paid the same as when you put one bet in on each street. But when you do improve, you often gain an extra bet. Your raise can also sometimes win the pot right there.

Good Luck

cepstrum

Puffin
03-03-2004, 02:29 PM
I am a fan of doing this after the flop. Hopefully seeing a free river card when they check on turn.

DrSavage
03-03-2004, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a fan of doing this after the flop. Hopefully seeing a free river card when they check on turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a completely different strategy. You're talking about a semibluff at the flop for a chance to make a drawing hand cheaply, we're talking about raising the turn and taking a free showdown unimproved with a made hand which appears to be second best. These two shouldn't be confused, you shouldn't make play 1 with made hands and you shouldn't make play 2 with uncompleted draws.

jasonHoldEm
03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Here's a CardPlayer article written by Bob Ciaffone on the subject.

The Free Showdown (http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=344)

Enjoy,
jHE

Nottom
03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
The other variation of this theme is the "cheap showdown" where you raise the flop with a hand that is potentially second best with the intention of betting the turn and checking the river which saves you a SB when you are behind.

You see this play a lot with 2nd pair or top pair-crap kicker.

DrSavage
03-03-2004, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The other variation of this theme is the "cheap showdown" where you raise the flop with a hand that is potentially second best with the intention of betting the turn and checking the river which saves you a SB when you are behind.

You see this play a lot with 2nd pair or top pair-crap kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right , I agree.
In short, there are many ways to use position.

TwoNiner
03-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. The aspect of protecting against the semi-bluff was something i hadn't thought about..