PDA

View Full Version : Other Games where Position is Important?

Bubmack
03-03-2004, 02:09 AM
This might be a Stupid Post...but it's late so what the hell!!!

I was thinking of games where position is important and thought the whole concept was kind of interesting. In fact, Position is probably much less important than in other games.

The king of positional games has to be blackjack. If the dealer did not act after the player ..It would be grossly in favor of the Player.

Two Others:

7/27 - this game is played as a split pot game between the player that has the closest holding to 7 and the player with the closest holding to 27. All cards have a point value equal to their rank...except face cards are worth 1/2 point.

Everyone is dealt two cards. one face up and one face down. So you can see at least one card. So if you know a player is showing a 9 he is probably not going low.

Well anyway the positional vallue comes from the fact that you can only check and not take a card three times before you are locked out of taking a card for the remainder of the game. This is very important as you may be showing a 4 or something and trying to represent to everyone that you are going for 7. Once everyone else decides to go for 27 or high...you can just start ramming the pot as the low player and watch all the suckers chasing 27 pay the price. And believe me there are a ton of betting rounds in this game. sometimes around 10.

Anyway...if there are two players representing low...then the player that has to decide whether to take a hit or not is at a sever disadvantage..if he takes a hit and the card is big..then he has given away low no matter what the guy that is last to act has in the hole. I often thought that if you missed 7 in this game it was best just to fold the hand and not even attempt at chasing high.

Last, good ole RISK...my favorite board game. I think there is a big advantage to going last. You can place your battalions strategically after your competitors have placed their troops....LOL

Anyway. Id be curious if anyone else has ever thought of the positional concept and how it relates to other games. Also, if any other games have come to their attention.

bubs

Jim Kuhn
03-03-2004, 02:30 AM
Only two games really matter life and position is very important for both. The games are poker and sex! Are there really any other games in life?

M.B.E.
03-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Baseball.

Stagemusic
03-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer (Football to you on the other side of the world), Table Tennis, Tennis, Pool (billards), Oval Track Racing of any kind, Golf, Chess, Checkers, Backgammon...OK, I'm tired of thinking now...just about ANY freaking competitive endevour that you would care to mention. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif