PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid overpair question

asdf1234
03-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Live 4/8 at CP, UTG is tightish, ABC type player.

I have Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif in the BB
UTG, 2 LP players, SB limp, I raise, everybody calls.

Flop: J/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks, I bet, UTG calls, others fold.

Turn: 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif
I bet, UTG raises, I....

Also, if I call, what's my river action?

Carlos
03-03-2004, 06:06 AM
Against an ABC-player you're rather likely to be behind.

You have too many outs to consider folding - even against the most straightforward of players. You're not gonna get a better hand to fold and you're out of position so there's no reason to raise. Calling the turn looks like the superior choice.

I'm sure there are players out there against whom folding the river is correct. But my days of folding the river for one bet with an overpair in a huge pot are over. Check-call the river.

Carlos

Bob T.
03-03-2004, 06:34 AM
You are most likely behind, but I agree with Carlos, call the turn because you have enough outs, and call one bet on the river so you can sleep well. Your opponent wouldn't play JT like this would he?

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Carlos
03-03-2004, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
call one bet on the river so you can sleep well.

[/ QUOTE ]

3000+ posts and you still pretend you prefer sleeping to thinking about poker.

BTW. I would have bet the flop with JT, but if I called raising the turn would be SOP against most opponents.

Carlos

sthief09
03-03-2004, 08:35 AM
If UTG is tight, then he won't play QT or T7 under the gun, so he doesn't have a straight. He also doesn't have J9 or J8. So what could he have? Well he doesn't have 88, because he wouldn't have called the flop with 2 overcards. He would've raised UTG with JJ, and he likely wouldn't have called with 44. So I guess you have to put him on 99 limping under the gun.

This makes sense, but keep in mind that if he does have a set, you have 6 outs to beat him. I think you should 3-bet the turn, and if he caps, you pray for one of your 6 outs, and probably fold if you don't hit. This only costs you one extra BB if you lose, and you make a few extra if he either doesn't 3-bet, if you river your set (which loses to TT) or your straight (which is likely to be a winner), you get the extra few bets on the capped turn, plus you can bet out the river.

Bob T.
03-03-2004, 10:51 AM
3000+ posts and you still pretend you prefer sleeping to thinking about poker.

I have a 2-year-old, or maybe there is a 2-year-old that has me. I don't know if you have any kids, but if or when you do, I predict that in your poker game, you will make decisions that let you sleep well. I pretty much do everything, so that I can sleep well, if I get the chance /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

lostinthought
03-03-2004, 11:00 AM
if you call? You might be behind, but you should call. If the river is a ten, I bet if checked to, or raise. Anything else I would probably check call.

RacersEdge
03-03-2004, 11:15 AM
I don't think the UTG is really very tight or "ABC" by looking at this hand. I'd say the "B" part would be raising with 99 on the flop - and he didn't do that. I would guess he's either QT or played 98s - which wouldn't make him very tight either.